Girls In White Dresses

Zac held up his end of the bargain,  following through with his promise, the money needed to salvage the magazine and buy Andi out had been in my account the very next day after our meeting at Sabrina's office

Zac held up his end of the bargain, following through with his promise, the money needed to salvage the magazine and buy Andi out had been in my account the very next day after our meeting at Sabrina's office. It was almost surprising how smoothly the financial aspect had gone, considering how the negotiation had gone with him trying to get under my skin.

Which brings us to today the day I'd chosen to face Andi, to deliver the news that she was no longer a part of "The Black Canvas". Ever since the day I walked in on her and Paul, I have been ignoring her calls and texts of which there have been plenty my phone is full of messages from her.

I'm sorry.

We need to talk.

Why are you being like this?

Let me explain.

Answer your phone!

Each ping, each buzz, felt like a jab at my resolve. It's tough seeing her name on my screen. Tough seeing her picture pop up, all smiley and cute, when she calls.

As her latest message chimed in, I let out an exasperated sigh.

Please call me, Tima.

I'm sorry.

I consider responding but decide against it. I can't let myself be pulled back into that web of lies and excuses. Not yet.

But as I am about to head into the office, my phone buzzes again, this time with an incoming call from my mother. I haven't spoken to her since everything went down with my sister. I answer with a mix of apprehension and curiosity.

"Hey, Ma."

"Why aren't you picking up your sister's calls?" Her voice edged with a mix of irritation and concern, hits me like a tidal wave.

I blink, pulling the phone away from my ear to stare at it in disbelief. Seriously? Was my mother actually siding with her?

"Ma, I don't know what Andi told you, but—"

"She's crying every night, Fatima. You're breaking her heart."

I clench my jaw, torn between anger and guilt. "What about what she did to break mine?"

"Meet up with her. Let her explain. You can't keep avoiding her. Do it for me, please."

The guilt arrow hits its mark, sinking deep. "I'll think about it," I say and then I hang up my mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions.

My relationship with my mother has always been complicated. Growing up my father was in and out of jail so it was always just been the two of us until she met my stepfather Andi's dad. After they got married and had Andi I always felt like an outsider and it didn't help that my mother put all her effort into being the perfect wife and mother to Andi and I was always an afterthought.