9.

Chris rubbed his eyes twice to make sure he wasn't imagining Piper Cruz sitting on a stool in his kitchen

Chris rubbed his eyes twice to make sure he wasn't imagining Piper Cruz sitting on a stool in his kitchen. What was worse, Matt was standing right next to her with that dumbass smirk he used on girls. His brother looked up briefly and met his gaze with a devilish smile.

"What are you doing here?"

"I slept over at Gabby's— she lives a few houses down. But she's not going to school today and I needed ha ride." She explained. "Matt was actually nice enough to answer his phone and let me in."

"The fuck are you doing texting my brother?"

Matt raised an amused eyebrow. And, okay, he knew he looked like he was jealous of his brother, but Chris was just pissed at Piper for showing her face on his house so early in the morning (considering his latest realization, he wanted more to time to prepare himself to face her).

"Ugh, I definitely chose the wrong brother" She dramatically sighed. "But the heart wants what it wants, am I right?"

"Piper" He warned her.

The blonde girl finally turned around and Chris' stomach dropped. She had a busted lip.

"What happened?"

"I fell" She answered.

He waited for her to elaborate. Chris could see Piper not wanting to share, but he didn't care. He was never one to respect boundaries.

"I was wearing my loafers and that denim skirt you like so much and I ate shit trying to keep the wind from flashing everyone while I ran to the bus stop."

"I do not have a favorite skirt" was all he managed to say. It was a lie, his brain was already conjuring up images of the blonde wearing that stupid little denim skirt.

Matt snorted.

"What?" Chris asked

"You absolutely do. The other day you were whining about Piper's—oof! Ouch, you motherfucker!"

His brain must've been still slow, because the next thing he knew, Piper was beside him and her hand was on his cheek.

"Good morning, Christopher."

He turned his head to her. Two braids fell on her shoulders and before he could really think about it, he tugged on one.

"Did you really fall?" He asked in a quiet voice, inching closer to the girl.

"Yes" She put his arms around his neck. "Now kiss it better." His heart skipped a beat.

He was just starting to lean in when Nick's voice cut through the air.

"Get a room you two!"

Piper gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and went back to the stool she was sitting on before.

"Are you going to Grace's pool party?"

"Meh" Piper shrugged.

"You guys would look so cute in matching swimsuits" Nick continued.

Chris' brother was talking about the weird tradition to match with someone for the pool party. The event was held every year after the Homecoming football game in whoever's house had a pool.

"Are we going to that shit?" Chris stood behind the blonde. "Piper?"

"Um, I don't know. If my mom lets me, yes" She looked odd at the mention of her mother.

Matt seemed to pick up on that and shot him a concerned look. Chris frowned.

"We'll wait for you in the car." Matt said and grabbed Nick on his way out.

"Cruz" He lowered himself so his chin was resting on her shoulder. When she didn't acknowledged him, he tried again. "What's wrong?"

She straightened her back. Whether it was because of his closeness or her reluctance to give him an honest answer, Chris didn't know.

"Nothing" She turned around and the boy braced himself on the counter, trapping the girl between his body and the cold surface.

"Who did this to you?" His eyes flickered to her busted lip.

"No one. I fell."

They stayed like that for a few seconds before her lips parted and let out a shaky breath.

"This wasn't part of our agreement" She reminds him. "You're not really my boyfriend Chris, you don't have to protect me."

"Then stop coming to me full of bruises and bloodied lips" He didn't meant to sound as harsh as he did. But he was already recalling last Monday, a dark bruise almost concealed by makeup marked her pretty face.

He didn't want to admit it. But over the years he'd noticed bruising along her arms, shaped as if someone had grabbed her forcefully. Of course, no one said anything, small towns tended to ignore that sort of things. Chris saying something meant he'd been watching her with more intent than someone who often claimed to hate her should.

"I'm not coming to you like some little child that needs to be saved or whatever it is you're picturing. I did not choose you, you were just there that night."

He clenched his jaw remembering that Friday night at the fair where she told him about the deal.

"You were convenient. That's it."

"You're deflecting" He stood straight and smirked. "I won't push you, this time," he added "but by the end of this little game of ours, I'm not going to be the one that comes running."

"And I will?"

She hopped off the stool and grabbed her pink backpack.

"Yes" he answered.

"You're delusional."

"I'm charming."

"No, you're fucking crazy if you think I will end up in love with you" She laughs. "If anything, it'll be the other way around."

"I guess we'll see" He shrugged.

"You can't have me. You never will."

"I always get what I want" He walked to the door and opened it for her. "I can be quite persistent."

"You're annoying" She walks past him.

"I'm cute" He smiled brightly, trying to light the mood and shake off the tension from their previous conversation off his shoulders.

"So what, making each other fall for the other is now a little side quest on our very real relationship?" She asked him in a whisper.

"I figured we're already in this mess together, why not have a little fun while we're at it."

"This sounds like a losing game, Chris."

"Deadline is the day after Homecoming." He proposed.

She stared at him for a moment before walking towards the car.

"You're delusional" She repeated with a little smile forming on her lips.