1.

Chris looked at the clock that hung above the door

Chris looked at the clock that hung above the door. He just wanted the class to be over so he could be at the field. They were announcing him as captain of the lacrosse team that afternoon.

"Sturniolo." The teacher voiced, his blue eyes dragged back with boredom to the woman calling his name.

"Which one?" Asked a voice a few rows away from him. Nick's head tilted to the side.

"Christopher." Mrs. Webb clarified. "You're with Cruz."

Chris' slouched back straightened. Matt shot him a concerned look and Nick turned his whole body with a wide gaze and an opened mouth. 

"Mrs. Webb, I don't think-"

"Matt, if Chris has a problem with whom I assigned him to be with. Then he can stay behind after class and say it to me."

"Yeah... right. Sorry." His brother mumbled with embarrassment.

Piper Cruz, who was exactly two lab tables up from him was sitting up straight. Shoulders squared with tension. Her position remained locked even as the bell rang and everyone except them and Chris' brothers left the room.

"We'll wait for you outside." Nick said from the door. Matt shot him a warning look and Chris just gave them a clipped nod.

Then, Cruz stood up and walked to Mrs. Webb's desk.

"Can I trade partners with Lila? She got Nick." Her quiet voice asked and Chris' blood boiled, he forcefully pushed his chair back causing a loud screeching noise, and walked to stand besides the girl without sparing a single look her way.

"Piper, I know-"

"I don't want to be with her either. I refuse to spend, what, nine months, with Cruz." He said. "I'd rather work alone."

"Guys." The woman sighed. "I've been here for twenty years. Not once have I had two people who act towards each other the way you do."

"Because-"

"I wasn't done talking, Piper." She warned the girl. "You're going to college next year. There's no way I'm letting you go off to the real world thinking you can behave the way you've been doing and ignore the consequences."

Chris wanted to point out exactly how his school record proved he and Cruz weren't able to ignore it. Weeks and weeks of detention and suspensions spoke for themselves. But he chose to stay quiet instead.

"So we're hashing this out. Now."

"But— you can't make us!" Cruz finally raised her voice, just a little, but Chris' eyebrows still shot up and an amused grin formed on his lips.

Composed little Miss Perfect was breaking.

"What are you laughing at?" She squinted her eyes at him and Chris' heart skipped a beat because summer break had been very, very good to the blonde girl.