Chapter 1 - The Other Side

• SIMRAN •

One thousand eight hundred twenty-five days is exactly the time we have been apart, Zander.

And every passing day is torture on my soul realizing what you must have been going through all these years but I would have changed it all if I could have.

A gentle tap on my shoulder broke me from my trance.

"Su Prabhat, Sundari" I blinked repeatedly at Sameer's soft yet playful voice.

My eyes were quickly on his sun-kissed face, he took a bite of an apple and flashed me a big smile while I laughed feeling appreciative of having my childhood friend at my side for all these years like an unmoved pillar.

"Su Prabhat, like really Sameer?"

I gave him a peeved glance before continuing to stir the Rava (Semolina) watery mixture in the round pan so it didn't stick to the bottom because my little devil is so fussy with everything.

"Well, you told me you liked Hindi words yesterday, you idiot!" He exclaimed irritated making me chuckle at his silly antics.

Sometimes I get confused if he grew up or not as he is still like an adorable kid.

"Yeah Yeah, go and wake her up or she will be late for school".

My eyes rolled at him sarcastically knowing how much pain both are in my ass especially when Sameer comes over for the weekend and these two rascals always would make an immense mess in this house.

He saluted me and immediately rushed upstairs, humming a song beautifully.

Sighing I just kept stirring the mixture and lastly garnished it with some dry fruits the way she liked it. I just hope she won't judge my cooking again.

Like Father like daughter! Always so picky, so alike...

Gloominess stretched on my face but I just shook my head in loss, unable to grasp that lost time.

I truly miss you my, Zane... I do so much and I just don't know how I can tell him everythi... But I will... tell him.

"Maaa!" She yelled, energetically announcing her presence.

My knees were now captured adorably with two little hands that were holding me like a precious souvenir.

"Good morning to you, mera pyara baccha (my dear baby)!" I lifted her and pecked her forehead sweetly.

"Damn Suji ka halwa! (Semolina pudding-like dessert), " She quickly smelled and goggled at it hungrily so I just took a spoon to feed her.

She quickly let out a moan as if she had never tasted anything delicious like this ever before and quickly pecked my cheek and gave me her best big adorable smile.

"Bhut acha hai, Mamma" She expressed beautifully before diving instantly into Sameer's arms so I could serve them breakfast.

They bickered, laughed, and teased each other like best buddies of the planet while I eyed them bittersweet in the hope that one day I would be with him, the love of my life and Ruza's father like a little happy family.