Chapter 31: The Licensing Exam Pt. 2

Tanaka's POV

After the last few people passed, there was a broadcast on the TVs of the anteroom, stating the next mission and that it would be beginning soon. 'A rescue mission for a disaster. Probably taking inspiration from Kamino...' I thought to myself.

The walls lowered and I flew out into the wreckage. I scanned the ground and noticed that there was a man trapped beneath a fallen beam. I dove toward him and said, "Don't worry sir! Everything will be ok!"

I landed beside him and looked at the beam that was on top of his legs. 'It's not supporting anything, so it's safe to move,' I thought to myself before grabbing the bottom of the beam, using several feathers to help as I lifted it enough to use one of my feathers to gently pull the man out, ignoring the leg-shaped indents in the beam that were there because this man was an actor of HUC and wasn't actually hurt. "Do you feel any pain anywhere?" I asked.

"M-my feet..." the man said, "I can't feel my feet!"

I nodded and gave him a soft smile, "Don't worry sir, I'll get you out of here and the medics will be able to help you."

I gently picked him up bridal style, seeing as the 'damage' was in his lower legs, and flew him to the makeshift infirmary area. "Over here! This man's legs have been crushed and he can't feel his feet," I stated as I approached another examinee.

They nodded and took him from my arms as I flew off to get another victim. This time, I found a small 'child' that was lying in a pile of blood. I knelt beside her and assessed the wounds. "Blood is coming from the arm..." I noted as the girl's left arm had a fake wound on it, a beam sticking out of it, "Might have a concussion, there's a wound on the head as well... Ok, I should stabilize the beam in her arm because both taking it out and leaving it as it is could cause more damage..." I muttered to myself as I pulled some bandages out of my utility belt and wrapped them tightly around her arm and the beam before picking her up and rushing her out of the area, picking up some other civilians that seemed to not be hurt and were just in the area with my feathers. 

As I was flying, I heard a loud bang and saw a bunch of 'villains' as well as Gang Orca burst into the arena. 'Ah, wondering what we will prioritize and if we will be able to keep the civilians safe...' I thought to myself as I flew closer to the medic area, "Evacuate the civilians!" someone yelled.

I used more feathers to pick up some people who seemed to have trouble walking, likely due to their 'injuries'. We kept evacuating them until I noticed a lot of commotion behind us. Many of the minion villains were running toward us, attacking the civilians. I growled before I lowered the victims in my grasp down to the ground and in the arms of others before lighting all of my feathers on fire and yelling, "Bullet Hell!"

My feathers rained down on them, causing many to stop and be incapacitated. "Keep going! I'll deal with the villains!" I called back to the group.

I turned back to the villains and grabbed two of my feathers, dual wielding them as I lit them on fire. More villains came at me and I took them out one by one. Someone shot at me, but I blocked it with my feather-swords, causing them to be stuck together with a concrete-like material. I growled before dropping them, opting to fight without a weapon. Once the villains near me were taken down, I looked up and saw that Todoroki and Yoarashi were arguing, causing Todoroki's flames to be carried away by Yoarashi's wind. But it wasn't going just anywhere, it was going toward someone. I didn't even get a good enough look before I sped toward him, bursting into flame and teleporting right in front of the guy, taking the hit of flames. 

"What the hell are you two doing?!" I yelled, "You're lucky that I'm fireproof!"

I looked down and saw that I was standing in front of the Shindo guy who creeped me out earlier. "Are you ok?" I asked.

He nodded slightly before I turned around and saw Todoroki be taken out with the concrete-like gun. Midoriya jumped over and took Shindo, nodding at me so I could zoom toward Gang Orca. "Now you two better get your heads out of your asses and work together! I'm not going to be able to defeat him alone!" I exclaimed to Todoroki and Yoarashi, "I don't care what beef you two have, grow up and face the problem in front of us!"

I grabbed a feather-sword, lit it on fire, and charged at Gang Orca. 

Third Person POV

Todoroki and Yoarashi watched in frustration and awe as Tanaka took on Gang Orca. She slashed at him, causing him to bleed and for his skin to shrivel slightly from the fire. 'Smart girl...' the hero thought as Tanaka fought him with serious grit. Yoarashi watched in amazement, but grit his teeth in realization that she was mad at him. 'I'm the one who was forcing her around me... not him...' he thought to himself. Todoroki grit his teeth, 'I'm so far behind... I let my anger cloud my judgment... and now she's fighting my battle.'

Then, Gang Orca grabbed Tanaka by the face and shot his super sonic waves at her, paralyzing her on the spot. She plummeted to the ground, the boys watching in horror. 'She got hurt because we were too busy arguing!' they thought before they shared a look, causing Todoroki to light on fire and for Yoarashi to shoot his winds at him, directing the flames at Gang Orca. Tanaka then launched all of her feathers at the hero, desperate to stop him. Midoriya then jumped into the action, delivering a powerful kick to the hero's head. Then, "Time's up! The last of HUC have been recovered!"

Everyone stopped fighting and looked around, glad that the exam was over.

After everyone was healed up and back in their uniforms, they were all gathered in front of a screen. "Those who passed will be up here," the hero commission guy stated before clicking a button, showing the list of names.

"Tanaka... Tanaka... AH! I passed!" Tanaka exclaimed as her eyes landed on her name.

She looked around the list and noticed that Midoriya and Kirishima had also passed, but then looked for two more names, only for them to not be there. "Katsu... Todoroki... they failed?" she said in disbelief. 

"We are passing out the sheets that show your scores and why you got the score you did," the hero commission guy stated before people passed out the exam sheets. 

Tanaka read hers and saw that she got an 89, "Looks like I should have gone faster and spent less time talking to myself when saving that girl...." she muttered to herself.

Tanaka then looked aside and saw Yoarashi reading his sheet with disappointment. 'I guess he failed too...' she thought to herself before turning around and seeing Katsu reading over her sheet. "How the fuck did you pass while I didn't?!" he exclaimed.

She looked over at his sheet and said, "Well, you were rude to the people you were supposed to be saving. That's not very heroic, Katsu."

He grumbled before the hero commission guy announced that those who failed would have the option of taking remedial courses to be able to get their licenses in about three months.

"Well, I'm glad that the exam is over..." Tanaka muttered to herself, remembering the chaos that ensued.

"Tanaka!" Yoarashi exclaimed.

Tanaka flinched slightly and turned around to see him walking toward her. He slammed his forehead into the ground and yelled, "I was being way too forward in my advances and made you uncomfortable! I'm sorry!"

"I-I forgive you..." Tanaka muttered.

He turned up and smiled, "I would still like to get to know you and possibly go on a date with you!"

She smiled awkwardly, "Um, well like I said, I don't date people I just met. I'm a little too preoccupied at the moment for dating anyway."

Unbeknownst to Tanaka, that answer disappointed several people in the nearby vicinity.