Chapter 24: A Bond Born in Trauma

Tanaka's POV

Pain.

That's all I felt as I returned to consciousness. 

My wings and face were screaming, my eyes were sore, and a sharp pain was in a peculiar shape on my arm. 

I slowly gained the strength to open my eyes to see that I was on a rough bed in a new room. I glanced over and saw that Bakugo was sitting on a bed on the opposite side of the tiny room, staring at his cuffs with frustration and fear. "B-Bakugo...?" I whispered.

His eyes snapped to me and a feeling of relief was shared between us. 'At least we aren't alone...' 

"W-where are we...?" I asked.

He grumbled, "The villains put us in here... it's like a spare room for us to stay in when they aren't here..."

I nodded and we were silent for a moment. That was until Bakugo got out of the bed, sat on the ground beside my bed, and growled, "What the fuck did they do to you?" 

I gulped, remembering Dabi's cruel sapphire eyes as he broke my nose and as he caused my wings to snap under the pressure of his body weight, then I remembered the pleasure on Toga's pale face as she looked at my blood and as she carved into my arm. "T-they were harvesting my tears... h-hurting me was the easiest way to make me cry..." I whispered weakly.

Bakugo's expression turned into one of confusion and fury, his crimson eyes burning into mine. "What the fuck do they want your tears for?"

"...because my tears can heal people. It's part of my quirk... since I have the powers of a phoenix... my tears have healing abilities..." I muttered.

Bakugo was silent for a moment before he muttered, "How the hell are we getting out of here...?" 

I gulped. Both of us were sat in yet another silence, trying to come up with an answer to that question for an unknown amount of time before I spoke up again, "Are you hurt...? Have they done anything to you?"

He scoffed, "Does it look like I'm hurt?" I flinched at his tone, causing him to sigh and lower his gaze, "They were just talking to me... trying to make me join them."

It was my turn to scoff, "Idiots..."

Bakugo's eyes landed on me before he smirked, "Even your dumbass knows that I wanna be a hero."

I puffed out my cheeks for a moment before wincing, the expression putting pressure on my nose. I glanced around our cell, dread pooling at the pit of my stomach. "W-what if we never make it out...?" 

Bakugo growled, "Don't think like that. The heroes are looking for us, I have no doubt about it. All Might will save us and beat the villains."

I nodded, tears forming in the corners of my eyes again. I then noticed that the tubes were still in my sockets and that the tubes led to two canisters that were strapped to my arms. "Fuck..." I quietly sobbed, trying to quell my emotions so they couldn't get more of what they wanted out of me. 

Bakugo and I sat in silence until we both drifted to sleep out of sheer exhaustion.

After a while, my eyes fluttered open yet again, my body becoming accustomed to the constant state of pain I was in, and looked around. The first thing I noticed was that Bakugo was sleeping with his shoulder resting on my bedframe and his head leaning on my thin mattress. 'That has to be uncomfortable,' I thought to myself before Bakugo began to stir.

His scarlet eyes fluttered open and scanned the room in panic before he remembered the events of the previous day. He looked at me and sighed in relief. However, that feeling of relief didn't last long because a few moments later, the cell door shot open and Dabi and Twice were standing in the doorway. "Twice, grab the boy," Dabi instructed.