Chapter 19- come kitty, come

As I strode into town, the rain still pouring, and the cold biting, I couldn't help but notice how awfully quiet it was. Usually the regulars should be in the pub at this time, but then again, the bomb had "just dropped".

I sniffled, my nose being runny from the rain, and the riding wind.

"knck, knck" I urged the horse, then heading toward the drugstore... the very old fashioned drug store.
It wasn't open, of course it wasn't open, these weren't the modern days.

But this couldn't wait until tomorrow. Alma couldn't wait until tomorrow. Who knew what she'd caught

I shook my head, as to rid myself of the thought, and then let myself off the horse.

I looked over the windows of the shop, assessing them essentially. I groaned, then stepped back and ran into them full force, colliding into them, and through.

"Ow- Damn it!" I hissed quietly, as i stood from the shop floor i had fallen onto. There weren't any fancy alarms like in the modern day, but i decided it be best if i hurried my little visit none the less.

As I started rummaging through the shelves looking for the stuff Alma would use when the children were sick, i felt something warm running down my face and torso.
I lifted my blouse -the white blouse- and saw blood forming.
It wasn't the knife wound reopening luckily, but a glass shard that had left a cut, which was now dirty.
I groaned and felt my forehead, which was also bleeding.
"Well that's just about perfect" I said sarcastically.
It didn't matter anyways... i had to get back to looking for the medicine.

Eventually I recognised the name of it, written on a label plastered to a cabinet door.

"Yes!" I said, relieved that it was even in stock, but as I went to pull on the cabinet door, it wouldn't open.
I groaned loudly and kicked the counter with my foot.
"Great!" I said, realising i would either have to find a key, or break the wooden door.

"Damn it... Damn it, damn it, damn it!" My voice seemed to grow louder by every word, as i threw some bottles of the table behind me, then banging my fists on the table.
A clattering was heard, something that sounded like metal, scissors? Please be scissors!

"Ha! Yes!" I said, picking up the scissors on the table, that had been hidden behind some medical bottles that I hadn't knocked down.

I turned to face the cabinet again, and swung the scissors into the wooden doors, scraping a hole.
The scissors where large, and they didn't have those plastic thingies on the grips like in the modern days.
They were purely metallic.

Suddenly something broke behind me, and I screamed hearing glass shatter, as I whipped around immediately, with the big pair of scissors pointed in the direction of the sound.

"Whoever you are, don't think for a moment, that I would have a problem killing you with scissors!" I shouted, glaring at the spot the sound had come from.
I squinted my eyes, seeing something small, and dark move from behind the glass.
"Wait is that..." I lowered my hands, and put down the scissors, then stepping closer, seeing something furry stuck under some fallen floorboards, and glass shards.

"Oh my birds" I said as i knelt down and removed the wooden boards and swept away the shards with my hands.

I was right, it was what i thought it was.
I picked it up-
"Hey kitty" i said, holding the black cat up, it gave a weak meow, and i saw blood on its legs.

"Oh that won't do" i said and sighed, i had to bring it home! It was just a kitten, and it was hurt... and that my fault.

"Fine" i announced, wrapping it in my coat, and putting it into one of the saddle bags outside, leaving it open for air supply.

I got back to gathering the medicine from the cabinet, and then walked out, covering myself from the rain as good as i could.

"Of we go!" I said as i had mounted the horse, and taken the kitten into my hands, one on the reigns of course.

__________

"Enoch!" I yelled out once i entered the home again, the boy peeked his head out of the kitchen and came forth when seeing it was just me.

"I need you to take care of the horse please" he nodded and walked out, meanwhile i sat down the kitten, still wrapped in my coat, in the parlour, then walking up stairs and straight into Alma's room.

"Hey birdie, wake up" i whispered softly, as i shook her lightly. She slowly woke up, looking at me confused.

"Hey" i laughed, an empty laugh, i was so scared for her. Right well-
"Here drink this" i said as i slowly "fed" her the medicine.
She coughed but then settled down again.

"Don't go-" she said, a cough cutting her off.
I looked at her, pitifully, but walked out after promising her to just take a second... again.

I got to the kitten after telling Enoch to go to bed, which surprisingly he did, and cleaned of the kitten.
She was beautiful. A black cat, who desperately needed food.
I gave her some chicken that was leftover from the dinner, seeing as Alma's appetite was... well, nonexistent.
The kitten ate it faster then i could blink, and strode against my leg, satisfied and purring.
"I think i'm going to have the children name you tomorrow, right kitty?" I said, picking her up.
She rubbed her head against my cheek, and i chuckled.
I brought her with me upstairs as i laid down on the couch in Alma's room.

After all, we couldn't both be sick.

________
You don't know yet, but the black cat being in this book is a little funny....