Summertime

ELIJAH'S POV:

It's officially summertime, which means that my younger siblings are out of school for two months. Guadalupe is about to give birth any moment. Fiona and Veronica currently working at a bar, for extra cash. Lip and Ian are doing a fight club, which seems to be going good. Debbie and Carl, Debbie more so than Carl, are running a babysitting program.

Guadalupe and I are with her parents, catching up with them. Besides the fact that we're expecting a baby, a lot has changed for us as well. We have been saving for the last couple of months, that we finally were able to buy a house in the north side. Also, we began working at real estate company that sells luxurious homes in the north side, which means that the compensation is a lot more than our previous job. It means that I see my siblings and her family less, but if it means that our kid gets to live in a better neighborhood and have a better education than Guadalupe and I got in the south side, then I'm all for it.

"What is going with you two?" Guadalupe's dad asked us.

"Everything is going good so far. We have everything prepared as much as we possibly could for when I go into labor," Guadalupe answered her father.

"What about you, Eli? You nervous?" Guadalupe's mother asked me.

"Very nervous and scared, but I've never been more excited about having a baby. Didn't have a great example of what a father should be and my mother was never around, but the good thing is that my sister and I raised our siblings the best way we could, due to our circumstances. I made mistakes along the way," I answered.

"You're not going to be like your parents. You and your sister were put in a tough situation by your parents, but the both of you got out of it and are trying to have a better future for yourselves and your siblings, you most of all. You're not a raging alcoholic like your dad and your don't abandon your family like your mother," Guadalupe reassured me.

"Thanks for the reassurance and don't get me wrong, it usually helps me, but sometimes I get into my own head and it makes me think that I'm not good enough for you and that I won't be a good enough father for our child," I tell her.

"Elijah, listen to me. Any man, any good man, has that fear. I had that fear when I was with my wife when we first got together and when we got married.  I got nervous when I became a father and my three kids were born. I was nervous about becoming a father and husband, about screwing up. I did make a few mistakes along the way, but I picked myself up and made sure that I did right by them and stayed. So yes, you're going to mess up sometimes, but I know you're going to love my daughter and my grandchild so much," Guadalupe's father tells me

———————————

Later on that night, I hear a phone ring. I checked phone and see that it's Fiona calling me. I knew it had to be an emergency if she's calling me this late.

"What's wrong?" I asked my sister.

"Some guy has Liam because Frank owes him 10 grand," Fiona tells me.

"He did what?" I yelled, which woke up Guadalupe from her sleep.

"Can you just meet us at the address that I sent you?" Fiona asked me.

It's a good thing that we decided to stay the night with her parents.

"I'm on my way and don't go in without me," I tell her before hanging up the phone.

"What's wrong?" Guadalupe asked me.

"Frank did something stupid and Liam got taken because of it," I answered as I got changed.

"Let me come with," Guadalupe says.

"No. You're pregnant and highly dangerous for you. I'll be back as soon as possible," I tell her before leaving her old room.

———————————

When I arrived at the the apartment complex, we quickly went to the door that these guys had Liam in. When we arrived, Fiona started banging on the door.

"Who the fuck are you?" A random guy asked us, while pointing a g*n at us.

"Where's Liam?" Fiona asked him.

"Liam stays, he's colateral," The guy answered.

"You can do whatever you want with Frank, but Liam has nothing to do with what Frank does," I tell him, before we shoved our way in.

We all put money on the table.

"How much is that?" The guy asked.

"I don't know, but we're good for it. Gallaghers always pay their debts," Fiona tells him and he remains quiet.

"Now, we're our brother?" I asked him.

The guy puts his g*n down and handed us Liam. As soon as Liam was safely in Fiona's arms, we all took off.

What's this summer going to be like?