S2 - Memoire

Catra lept from the door, Melog at her heels.

They had just landed in Xaliaon, and they were surrounded by magnificent architecture.

But it was entirely abandoned.

One would wonder why if not for the massive battlefield on the other side of the old palaces battlements.

The roof on the tallest tower had caved in, and the thrones in the throne room had been destroyed.

The duo were sad to find that the only place where anyone might have been, a bunker where people had lived for many years, had imploded on the civilians inside.

Her hand hovered over the shattered glass of what might have been a window.

She sighed and turned back to Melog.

'Want to check inside the palace next?'

Melog nodded and scampered on beside her.

They entered the old palace, and stepped inside the foyer.

There was an insignia across a wall that stood between two winding staircases.

It read; D'ryluith, Citie ef Mayicats Oril

''I only understand the "City Of Magicats", You?'

'D'ryluith is the city name, Oril means Citadel. D'ryluith is where D'riluth derives from'  Melog chimes in helpfully.

'Thanks, Crime partner' She winks.

Melog snorts.

'Alright, Now that I've got my walking translator slash partner in crime, we can continue' She smirked and snickered.

Melog sighed and padded along beside her.

The duo set off up the west staircase in hopes of finding a lavish bedroom for them to flop into, but instead they came across an ancient relic.

They found the bedroom three hours later but that's not the point.

The relic was a copper colour, symbols of an ancient language engraved onto the delicate material.

'I wonder what it was used for...' Catra says, her fingers ghosting over the center symbol.

'Its a "fáinne Chladaigh", a traditional symbol of magicats and is part of the twin planets conjoined insignia' Melog informed.

'Neat. Can I keep it?'

'You're the Empress, Čalyria, you do not need to ask.'

'I forgot about that'

'Of course you did.'

'Hey!'

'I'm I wrong?'

'I-....No...'

'Exactly.'

'Ugh, let's just continue' She rolled her eyes.

Melog gave her a smug look and pattered into an open doorway.

Catra followed them, and the two ended up inside a grandiose library that seemed to go on for miles.

'Let's go to the history section. That's bound to have information.' Catra announced.

Melog snorts again.

'What?!'

'It was obvious where we needed to go dummy'  Melog mutters.

Catra doesn't give them a reaction, and just runs ahead of the Krytis creature.

Melog grumbles out a complaint, and follows after her.

When he finds her, she's perched on a tall stool like an owl and skimming

through a thick leather bound book labeled "History Of D'ryluith.  209bn -1254An"

'What are you reading about?' Melog says.

'I'm just looking through the list and timeliness of events, along with each ruler, from even before Empress Cassiopeia. There's a short vignette on the general reign of Empress Briseis, and her sister, Imperial Princess Harmonia.' Catra explained, though she looked deeply saddened by something.

'What are you upset about?'

'I found out how they died. Their mother, Empress Adrasteia and their father, Emperor Endymion, and themselves. Well....One evening, they were having a quiet night in. Adrasteia and Endymion were sitting by the fire while Empress Briseis and Princess Harmonia were in the library, sitting on a pile of cushions- don't ask why I made a point of saying saying that, it's what the book says!- When the imperial Prince, Perseus, stormed into the library. He brutally murdered both of his sisters in cold blood, all because he did not stand a chance at ruling Xaliaons empire of Purrsia. Then he used black magic to levitate their corpses on either side of him while he entered the living room where Adrasteia and Endymion where. Understandably horrified, the two called for the guards. But Perseus held them off with black magic. He then engaged in a brutal and conflicted battle with Endymion, who was trying with all his might to protect Adrasteia. But he was not powerful enough to withstand magic, and was murdered. Then, Perseus choked Adrasteia to death. Luckily, her niece, future Empress Danaë, drove him out of the palace with her own magic which eventually made her a goddess. Immortal and all powerful. Her epithet, Circe, became the name she went by. Her mana was stronger then the core of all planets in the galaxy put together. She ruled for one hundred years before passing the throne to her daughter and heir, Cassiopeia'

They were both near tears.

It was just so tragic.

What kind of person would murder their whole family over a crown? Well clearly the Prince.

'What happened to the prince?' Melog asked after a moment.

'He didn't die, because Circe/Danaë refused to kill her own cousin. And simply banished him from the empire. He from then on bore the Irish word for ghost as his name. Puca'

'Oh shit.' Melog gasped.

'Watch your profanities!' Catra hissed.

The duo laughed, and Catra slipped the book into her bag along with the relic.

'Right. Let's find a place to sleep for tonight because I'm getting tired from searching.'

'Me too. I figured out where the head bedroom is. It's got a huge fluffy bed.'

'Lead the way, Melog!'

'Čalyria. I don't have much of a choice? Now follow me.'