The Case of the Missing Lifeguard

"Wait, so you actually have to work today? Again?"

"Yes," I snapped, repeating myself for the fifth time. "Linley can't come in, so I need to cover her shift. What part of that doesn't make sense to you?"

"No, it makes sense," Steve admitted, a smile cracking on his face. "I just can't believe that the Y/n Henderson has to work two days in a row!"

"Shut it." Steve just laughed harder, making me more irritated. "Well, are you going to buy something?"

"Me? Buy something from a lingerie store?" he gawked. "Absolutely not."

"Why? I think that hot-pink one over there would look really cute on you," I mocked. "And it's only $35. I think. Maybe $40."

"I'll have to pass you up on that offer," he sighed, checking his watch. "Dustin and I have some sleuthing to do."

"Wait, you guys are working on the Russian stuff? Without me?"

"Well, yeah, maybe just a little bit-"

"Steve! How am I supposed to find a hot husband if I'm not part of the 'True American Hero' group?"

"How- what?"

"Oh, c'mon, you don't think you're the only one getting something out of this, right? I need to help you guys solve this problem so college boys will want to marry me!"

"Don't worry, Henderson, I'm sure you'll be able to find a good husband with your brains," he chuckled.

"I better," I mumbled, my eyes following the new customer that just walked in. "Well, I'll let you and Dustin get going, but I better be getting some of the glory."

"Don't worry, I'll make it my mission to make sure people know about Y/n Henderson."

***

"You see anything?"

"Uh, I guess I don't totally know what I'm looking for," Steve admitted, whipping his head around the mall.

"Evil Russians," Dustin clarified.

"Yeah, exactly. I don't know what an evil Russian looks like."

"Tall, blond, not smiling. Also, look for earpieces, camo, duffel bags, that sort of thing."

"Right, ok, duffel bags." Steve scanned the scene, but took a double-take a second later. "Oh, you've gotta be kidding me."

"What!?" Dustin exclaimed, excited at the idea that they had finally found some new lead.

"Anna Jacobi's talking with that meathead Mark Lewinsky," Steve gawked.

"If you're not gonna focus, just gimme the binoculars," Dustin snapped, his spirits crushed.

"Aw, no, whatever happened to standards?" Steve complained, completely ignoring Dustin. "I mean, Lewinsky never even came off the bench!"

"Dude, you are the worst spy in history, you know that?" Dustin attempted to grab the binoculars from Steve, but he held them out his reach. It took Dustin basically climbing Steve's arm in order to get them back.

"I don't get why you're looking at girls" Dustin admitted, looking for clues. "You have the perfect one in front of you"

"Seriously, if you say Y/n again-"

"Y/n."

"Dude, stop-"

"Y/n, Y/n, Y/n."

"Dustin-"

"Y/n, Y/n, Y/n-"

"No, dude, I don't think of her that way!" Steve snapped. "I'm not even her type!"

"Yeah, her taste in men has sucked recently, but you can change that!"