Will the Wise: Pt. 2

I always had a hard time waking up, but today was especially difficult.

You still have time to back out.

I was well aware. But backing out wouldn't achieve anything. Plus, I wasn't really doing this for myself. I was doing it for Will.

Shoot. I forgot about Steve.

I grabbed my phone and dialed his number, hoping he was available.

One ring. Two rings. Three-

"Hello?"

"Steve, I don't need a ride to school today."

"Why? Is everything ok?"

"Yeah, everything's fine, I just have other stuff I need to do. I'll see you later." I hung up before he could ask any more questions.

I quickly changed and went to the kitchen. Mom looked up from breakfast and asked, "Where's your bag?"

"That's actually what I need to talk to you about," I started, carefully thinking about my next words. "Nancy and I were wanting to just take today off and hang out. Y'know, with finals coming up, and everything like that, we just want to chill out. Can I... skip today?"

Mom paused for a second, thought about the situation, and answered, "Is this going to become a daily occurrence?"

"Nope!" I assured. "We're just... really stressed out for these ones. And I kinda want to spend some time with Nancy before I leave for college."

"Oh, hush!" she scolded. "You've still got some time before then!"

I bit my cheek to hold back my laughter. She always shut down a conversation when it involved me leaving for college. She seemed to have a harder time accepting it than me.

"So, is that a yes? Or a no?"

"Sure."

"Thank you!" I smiled, giving her a quick squeeze. "I'll call you if I stay over the night. Goodbye! Love you!"

I grabbed the keys off the counter and ran to my car, wanting to leave before she questioned something I couldn't answer. I started the car and, as carefully as I possibly could, drove away.

***

I wish I could've said that driving there was the most difficult part, but I had a feeling things would get even worse inside there.

My keys were weighing down my jacket, reminding me that I could turn back. I hadn't made an appointment or anything. Would they accept walk-ins?

They probably did when the walk-in was someone they'd been reaching out to for months.

My eyes were glued forward, ignoring the stares I got from passersby. I was going to get in and get out with the least amount of interaction possible.

My shoes clicked against the polished floor, magnified by the stillness of the room. The lady behind the desk didn't look up until I cleared my throat.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes, actually, I'm here for some 'clinical study'?"

"Name?"

"Y/n Henderson."

The woman typed it out, clicked on a few things, and informed, "We're sending someone down here right now. They'll take you to your room."

I waited a second before asking, "Do you know how long this is going to take?"

"No."

"Will I be able to go home tonight?"