MADMAX: Pt. 2

"This is pointless," Steve sighed, throwing his head in his hands.

"No, it's not pointless," I chided. "It's taking time, which is a good thing. It means we're really getting down to the nitty-gritty."

"Where's your letter?"

I reached into my bag and grabbed the paper, sliding it across the table to Steve. He glanced over it, looking engrossed in the contents.

"How?" he muttered, handing the letter back.

"It just takes dedication," I shrugged. "It took me a while to write, definitely not a ten-minute paper."

"So, what you're saying is, I won't be able to fix this in time."

"No, we're just editing your essay, not entirely rewriting it." I grabbed Steve's paper and found the part Nancy had mentioned earlier, with the basketball game and the war. "Here, the part where you mention the basketball game and the war, only pick one. Maybe the basketball example, since it's more personal, but the war would work, too."

Steve wrote some notes on a blank sheet of paper, looking back up at me when he was finished. "Ok, now you're conclusion doesn't exactly conclude your paper."

Steve wrote down a few more things as I gave more advice. Pretty soon, he had a full page of just suggestions. I folded that paper and his essay together, handing it back to him.

"Try to fix your paper. After we finish with Barb's parents, I can check it over and see if it looks good. Does that work?"

Steve nodded, shoving the papers in his bag. The bell rang, dismissing us to go to lunch. I grabbed my bag and walked with him to the cafeteria, locating Nancy at one of the tables, conversing with Jonathan. When he noticed Steve and I, he left, leaving just the three of us.

"So, did you get your paper finished?" Nancy asked as we sat down.

"Pretty much," Steve shrugged. "All thanks to Henderson."

"Yeah, it was all me," I joked, noticing Billy across the cafeteria. He scanned the spacious room, a grin on his face when he noticed me. Curiously enough, he didn't make an attempt to come over. "Sorry, I've gotta go."

"What..." Steve stopped when he noticed who I was looking at. "You can't be serious."

"He's the new kid, I'm going to be nice to him," I stated, standing up from the table.

"Why doesn't he come over and sit with us?" Nancy offered. "I mean, he'd get to know more people."

 I shook my head, "He didn't come over when he saw me. Look, I'll see you guys later. Bye."

I walked over to Billy, trying to hide the smile creeping on my face. "How was your-"

"Who was that guy you were talking to?" he interrupted.

"Oh, Steve?" I asked, turning back to see if there was any other guy close around. "He's just my friend."

Billy's face was completely emotionless as something clicked in my brain. "Oh, no, no, it's not like that," I laughed. "That's my best friend's boyfriend. I just help him with assignments."

"Uh-huh." Billy started to walk off, but I gently grabbed his shoulder.

"Hey, I'm being serious," I promised. "We had major beef last year, I promise, nothing is going on between us."

His eyes slightly softened, a little smile on his face. "Promise?"

"Promise."

His eyes drifted over to my hand on his shoulder, his eyebrows raising. Embarrassed, I quickly moved my hand down to my side.