The Pollywog: Pt. 1

"Hey, can you hold this for me?"

I hadn't heard that voice in nearly three years, yet I knew exactly who it belonged to.

My eyes shot open, hoping, praying that I was just overthinking it. I mean, it was pretty common for two people to have a similar voice. Why wouldn't that be the case here?

But, of course, I was right the first time. Michael Kent was standing right next to me, a backpack in his outstretched arms.

Without warning, I chirped, "Yeah, of course!"

Michael smiled and put the backpack around my shoulders. A satisfied smile grew on my face while my mind was freaking out.

I tried to run off, but my feet kept walking in the normal direction. In fact, I had no control. At all. It was like I was trapped inside my own body.

And it terrified me that could do nothing about it.

Our hands were interlocked together, and I was suddenly very aware of how sweaty my hands were. Would Michael notice? Would he want to still date me? Would-

Jeez, chill out 15-year-old me, I cringed. He's not that great.

Michael and I continued to walk down the partially concealed path, our flashlights and the moon the only things illuminating our path, and even then, I had no idea where we were.

"C'mon Michael, can you please just tell me where we're going?" I whined.

"That would ruin the surprise!" he smirked back.

"You're so cliché."

"But you love it."

A prominent blush rose on my cheeks, but he wouldn't have seen it in the dimly-lit atmosphere. I gripped his hand tighter and slightly picked up the pace, eager to reach the spot.

"Right here."

We took a path that looked even more hidden than the one we were just on. Up ahead, I could see the moon reflecting off something.

"It's just up ahead," Michael muttered, his grip slightly loosening. Anxiety was bubbling up in my chest, knowing exactly what was going to happen. The backpack straps were digging into my shoulders, reminding me of the heavy weight. But I had other things weighing on my mind to distract me.

The brush finally gave way, revealing a sparkling lake before us. A dock ventured a few feet into the water. Michael led me onto the dock, taking us to the very end.

Fear was buzzing in my chest, reminding me I was powerless to do anything.

"You know, I had a really great time," the boy smiled.

Even though I could do nothing, my mind was screaming, telling me to push past him and run anywhere, as long as it was away from here.

"I did, too," I choked out. Despite my terrified, chaotic mind, my face turned up in a smile.

"When are you leaving, again?" he asked, his finger slowly tracing my jaw, neck, and collarbone. Shivers of delight rippled throughout my body. "I forgot."

Get away from here!

"You know, Michael," I laughed. "I'm leaving tomorrow."

"Where to again? HillVille?"

"Hawkins."

"Never heard of it."

"I would be surprised if you had. It's a little town in the middle of nowhere."

"But you're coming back, right?"

"I'm planning on it, near Christmas."

"Are you sure about that?"