MADMAX: Pt. 1

"No, Harrington, that's not even close to the correct answer," I groaned, rubbing the bridge of my nose. "Caesar crossed the Rubicon River, not the Euphrates."

"They're by each other, right?" he guessed, his voice sounding hopeful.

I sighed, "Euphrates is in Turkey. Rubicon's in Italy."

"I'm gonna fail this class."

"Do you take notes in class?"

"...No."

"Start doing that. It'll help a ton. And make them neat. Ok? Neat."

"Ok, Henderson, I get it."

"Good. Now, what'd you get for 5?"

"Rome was-"

Dustin burst into my room, heading straight for my drawers, muttering profanities under his breath.

"Hold on," I interrupted, setting the phone down on my bed before questioning, "What are you doing!?"

Dustin ignored my question and continued digging through my drawers, looking for something. "Why do you have so many bras?" He tossed a few on the floor as he said it.

I jumped off the bed and grabbed his wrist, prying him away to the door. He twisted out of my grasp and glared at me, his arms folded across his chest.

"What do you want?" I growled.

"Do you have any quarters?"

"Why?"

"'Cause I'm going to the arcade."

Groaning in frustration, I grabbed my purse and pulled out a few quarters, dropping them in Dustin's eager hands.

"You better pay me back," I warned, watching him sprint down the hall.

"Yeah, yeah, I know!" he yelled back. I lightly chuckled while clicking my door shut. I sat on my bed and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Sorry 'bout that, where were we?"

"Well, we were talking about Rome, then your brother mentioned something about some bras-"

"If you want help, you better shut up," I growled, my cheeks quickly heating up.

"My lips are sealed," Steve vowed, slightly chuckling at the end.

"They better be."

"Anyway, Rome was established-"

I carefully listened to Steve's answers, correcting him on almost every single one. But it wasn't annoying. I'd gotten used to it by now.

See, ever since the whole... incident last year, as Hawkins Lab liked to call it, Steve and I had gotten a little bit closer. Just a little bit. I would help him with class assignments, he'd talk to me during class, but that was kinda it. We definitely weren't best friends. Or even good friends. Just friends.

"Ok, is that everything?" I yawned, my eyes growing droopy as the street lamps clicked on.

"In that class, yeah. Now, I just need to finish my college letter."

"Isn't it due in two days?" I asked, my eyebrow raising up.

"I'm almost close to getting done," Steve added, almost offended I thought the worst.

"Ok, ok, I'll take your word," I rushed, trying to contain a laugh. "Good luck on your paper."

"I'll need it."