The Flea and the Acrobat: Pt. 2

"Well, that was quick," Nancy remarked.

"I was just changing into some pants and a shirt, not like I needed to do a whole makeover," I joked, climbing into her front seat with my gun. Nancy noticed it, but didn't mention it. We pulled out of my driveway and went to the Byers.

The first thing I noticed was some stranger's car in the driveway. It belonged to neither Joyce nor Jonathan, and I would be very surprised if they decided to buy one right now. That's when I noticed someone storm out of the house and into said-car.

"Lonnie," I spat, recognizing the P.O.S. that had the audacity to call himself 'Dad' to Jonathan and Will.

"Who?"

"Joyce's ex-husband," I informed. Lonnie sped out of Joyce's driveway and drove off to who-knows-where. Without waiting for Nancy to find somewhere to park, I jumped out and walked down the road. Nancy left her car where it was and ran up to me, her expression screaming confusion.

"Where are we going? Jonathan told us to meet him at his house," Nancy reminded.

"I know, but he hates Lonnie and likes to stay away from him. If I had to take a guess, I'd say he's out here somewhere."

Perfectly timed, a bang rang through the air. I smiled at Nancy and followed the source, hoping it led to Jonathan.

"What exactly happened between the four of them?" she asked, referring to the Byers.

I sighed, "Lonnie just... wasn't there. Emotionally, I mean. Not for Joyce, not for Jonathan, and especially not for Will. Some of the stuff he said about Will was horrible. Joyce finally had enough and kicked him out. He moved to Indianapolis, Joyce stayed here, blah blah blah, I'm sure you know the rest."

Nancy was silent for a minute before breathing, "Wow."

"Yeah, it sucks, but it was for the best. Jonathan told me how different Will was before and after Lonnie left, and it's a dramatic difference."

"I'm guessing he's barely in their lives now?"

I shrugged, "Pretty much. He claims he 'tries', but he does what he wants, not what Jonathan or Will want."

"Sounds like a terrible dad."

"Trust me, he is."

More shots echoed through the air, louder than the last set. I peered through a break in the trees, catching sight of Jonathan shooting a gun. Cans were perched on top of wooden stumps with Jonathan far back. He shot again, but none of the cans fell down.

"You know, you're supposed to hit the cans," I teased, walking up beside him.

"Actually, I was trying to get the spot between them," he laughed, lowering his gun.

"Ah."

Jonathan noticed Nancy setting down her bag and bat and asked, "You ever shot a gun before?"

"Have you met my parents?" she scoffed. Jonathan slightly chuckled.

"Yeah, I haven't shot one since I was ten," he admitted, loading his gun. "My dad took me hunting on my birthday. He made me kill a rabbit."

"A rabbit?"

"Yeah. I guess he thought it would make me more a man, or something. I cried for a week."

"Jeez," Nancy muttered.

"What? I'm a fan of Thumper," Jonathan defended.

"I meant your dad," Nancy chuckled.

"Yeah. I guess he and my mom loved each other at some point, but... I wasn't around for that part."