The Body: Pt. 1

My eyes fluttered open the next morning, irritated by the sunlight. I sat up, glancing around my room, trying to remember what happened yesterday. When my eyes landed on some pictures of Nancy, Barb, and me, everything came flooding back.

Will had died. Barb was missing. I groaned, immediately wishing I could just go back to sleep and dream all the chaos away. But others needed me. I had to be there for Jonathan and Dustin.

I repeated my morning routine, though everything felt much harder. Harder to do my makeup, to eat my breakfast, and harder to get in Nancy's car. But I got through it all, and now I was sitting in Nancy's passenger seat.

"Y/n-"

"Nancy, listen, I get you want to help me, but I'm still processing everything, ok? When I want to talk, I promise I'll talk."

Nancy didn't say anything, leaving us in an uncomfortable silence. Of course I wanted to talk to someone about it. I just didn't know what to say. I didn't want to say the wrong thing and have everyone suddenly all over me, saying 'It's ok, Y/n! It wasn't your fault!' That would be annoying. So, I just kept my mouth shut.

Nancy pulled into her regular parking spot, both of us still silent. I quickly exited and started to briskly walk to the school when Nancy stopped me with a hug.

"I'm here for you, ok?"

The all-too familiar lump formed in my throat, making it impossible to form words. Instead, I hugged Nancy a little tighter and nodded my head.

The bell broke us apart. I quickly wiped my eyes and smiled at Nancy, mumbling a "Thank you" before jogging to class.

***

"Class? May I have your attention?"

While everyone else stopped to look at the teacher, my eyes stayed glued to the desk. I honestly couldn't have cared less about cells or genetics mutations at a moment like this.

"I'm sure many of you have heard the news about Will Byers, and it is by all means a traumatic event. However-"

"I told you, Byers probably killed him," Tommy snickered. My fists tightened, making my knuckles white.

"Dude, shut up," Steve scolded.

"And I'm sure Henderson helped him."

I whirled around faster than lightning, my face twisted up in a glower.

"You know what, Tommy? Go to He-"

"Y/n Henderson!"

I looked back up to the front of the classroom, my lips turned downward in an annoyed frown. The teacher's face was red, his knuckles as white as mine. Still, I couldn't have cared less.

"Yes?" I spat.

"Office. Now. Take your stuff."

Without arguing, I grabbed my bag and strutted out the room, slamming the door shut behind me. A little part of me felt guilty for disrupting the class, but the other, bigger part was satisfied. The encounter from a couple days ago was still fresh on my mind, when this 'teacher' had told me he was disappointed in me. Hopefully, I had made him feel a little bit of what I felt.

I got occasional glances from kids sluffing class and loitering the halls, but their focus quickly shifted to behind me. Confused, I turned around.

Tommy was walking not too far behind me, his face set in a smirk. Like me, his bag was slung over his shoulder. The anger I felt earlier flared up, but I shoved it back down and looked ahead. I didn't need to get in any more trouble than I already was.