The Bathtub: Pt. 1

Hopper was, in fact, at the station in ten minutes. I thought it would take him longer, but I wasn't complaining. The atmosphere had gotten awkward very quickly, especially when Callahan decided to sit right behind us to work on something.

The door to the station swung open, tearing my attention from whatever impurities were on the desk. I caught a glimpse of Hopper and Joyce before they turned around a corner, quickly coming upon us.

"Jonathan, jeez, what... what happened?" Joyce asked, stopping a few feet in front of us. She appeared surprised when she noticed Nancy and I next to him, but didn't mention anything about it.

"Ma'am-"

"I'm fine," Jonathan assured, his gaze going down to his hands.

"Why is he wearing handcuffs?" she asked, her voice slowly raising.

"Well, your boy assaulted a police officer," Callahan informed. "That's why."

"Take them off."

"I am afraid I cannot do that."

"Take them off!" Joyce demanded. I was really hoping nothing was going to happen that would cause us to spend another hour in this place.

"You heard her. Take 'em off," Hop ordered.

"Chief, I get everyone's emotional here, but there's something you need to see." An alarm blared in my head as something gnawed in my stomach. If Powell saw what I think he did, and Jonathan was already arrested for assault, there was no way we were getting out easy.

Hopper, confused, followed Callahan and Powell outside to the parking lot. Joyce kept glancing between us three, coming up with some elaborate theory for why we were here. Finally, she asked, "Were you two involved in whatever Jonathan did?"

"No, Ma'am," I assured.

"Well, kinda," Nancy contradicted.

I glared at her before clarifying, "We were there. But we didn't actually get involved."

"Y/n kinda did. She tried to pull Jonathan away, and-"

"Nancy, I wasn't involved," I spat.

"Y/n, were you involved?" Joyce asked.

"No, not in the way you're thinking of," I promised.

"I just... I hate seeing my son get into something like that, but I would hate it even more if you two were sucked in, too."

"Jo- Ms. Byers, please, Nancy and I are both fine, ok? And Jonathan is gonna be ok once we get out of here, I promise."

The door opened again, and that feeling came back. The feeling that I was going to throw up because of everything going on. The police dropped our boxes full of supplies, giving us each disapproving glares. Joyce immediately started searching through the boxes, whatever emotion she had a second ago quickly fading away.

"What is this?" she asked, though I couldn't tell if it was to us or the officers.

"Why don't you ask your son? We found it in his car," Hopper informed.

"What?"

"Why are you going through my car?" Jonathan accused. I lightly nudged him, telling him to back off.

"Is that really the question you should be asking right now?" Hop snapped, slowly leaning in. "I wanna see you in my office. Henderson and Wheeler, too."

"You won't believe me."

Almost offended, Hopper challenged, "Why don't you give me a try?"

He loosened Jonathan's handcuffs to let him move around. Shakily, he got up, and followed Hopper to his office. Nancy, Joyce, and I followed not too far behind.