01: Homeless

[ Darshan's POV ]

'We're extremely sorry to inform you that the gig scheduled on Monday has been cancelled due to certain technical issues. We cannot promise you if the event would take place in the near future. However, if it does, the two of you will certainly be our artists of choice'.

And we all know how that statement goes. It's practically a lie.

"We hope you have a good day", Chinmay reads out the last line and slumps back on his chair. "Fuck them and their fucking good day", I mutter under my breath, burying my face on my sweaty palms.

"It's fine. If not this one, some other gig or event", Chinmay comforts, casually. "Don't stress about it".

"It's not that easy, Chinmay", I breathe and a moment of silence crawls in as he hangs his head low.

He does that when he has absolutely nothing in his pockets to console me with. I don't interfere with the air of quietness either; I need that little space to find my composure back.

I depended on that gig for my rent. I've been dodging my landlord for a little over a month now. Innumerable phone-calls and messages later, he left a notice on my door, threatening to kick me out and eventually, everything ended with me promising him that I'll somehow make the payment today. Otherwise, I'd walk out with my belongings. Now when I think of it - that was an extremely stupid thing of me to utter.

"All good, man?", Chinmay's voice breaks through my stream of thoughts about how I'm going to deal with the landlord. "Yeah", I whisper under my breath, running my fingers through my hair.

"If there's anything, you know that---", he begins and I cut him off midway. "I know, Chinmay, I know", I flash a weak smile at him, as anxiety grows in my chest. If there's anything I could blindly rely on him and he would do whatever it takes to bring me out of it.

"Let's go grab coffee?", he cues. "Nah, I'm good. I have a morning shift at the call centre", I pick up my ID and take a quick look in the mirror. I cannot afford to lose the only job that somewhat pays my bills.

"I'll take the bus", I inform him, before he offers a car ride and he simply answers with a nod. No questions asked.

I've been such a burden on him; sometimes I wish we never met or that we weren't this close.

Chinmay Roy. He would move mountains for me, and honestly - he has. Time and time again. But there was nothing I could ever do for him. Sometimes, the very thought of how I must be weighing him down awakens a discomfort in me. When will the struggles end, and when will I eventually have enough to pay him back for everything he has done for me?

"Darsh", he calls out for me, on my way out. "I'll talk to more event managers, alright? I'll see if Dad can get us through some contacts", he tells me. "There'll be a way, I know that for sure. It's just one dead end, right?".

How do I tell him that it's not just another dead end for me, because our lives are not the same? It doesn't matter if one gig slides out of his grip; whether he'd be homeless or not doesn't depend on it. Or the money he promised he'd send back home for his family never depended on that one gig.

For him, it's probably another meal, another party or money for another branded t-shirt. It's simply not the same. But I agree to his words with a nod and sprint down the flight of stairs.

Once the unendingly annoying morning shift ended at the call centre, I hurried back to my apartment, expecting the worst. And my expectations didn't let me down. The door had a padlock dangling and right above, a To-Let poster was stuck.

A cancelled gig, an empty wallet and now, I'm officially homeless. Could it get worse than this?

Even though the situation was hopeless, I called up my landlord with hopes that his heart hadn't turned stone-cold about the decision yet.

"You can Google Pay the rent, Darshan", he cuts all the bullshit greetings and gets to the point. That's it. I'm doomed.

"Uhm---I---", I swallow down hard. "I couldn't arrange the money. I was wondering if you could---", I made an attempt to talk. "No, I can't do anything about it. There are many bachelors who are willing to pay much more than you do. Why should I hold back for you, Darshan? I did my best but I have a family to feed. You understand, right?", he pauses. Once he pulled the family card, I couldn't fight him anymore.

"If you cannot pay up, I'll unlock the door for you to pack up your things tonight", he sternly instructs. "Okay", I whisper, leaning back on the wall. "But can I store my belongings somewhere around until I find a place?".

He agreed, and after that I sat down on the stairs, as I anticipated for his arrival. I didn't have much to pack anyways; just my clothes and the mattress I slept in.

My head almost split into two, as I brainstormed about what I'd do next. I couldn't move into a hostel or a hotel because I had absolutely nothing on me. No matter what I decided to do - one thing was certain - I'd have to figure it out on my own. I didn't want Chinmay to find out. He hated the conditions and the space I lived in. He always wanted me to move in with his family, because apparently - I was one of them, too. But I know for a fact that no matter how close I was to him, I could never be a part of his family. I was barely a part of my own.

Just then my phone chimes and it's a message from Chinmay. The Universe somehow has its own ways of bringing us closer when my world is falling apart, whether I want it or not.

Chinu: Man, I forgot to tell you about tonight. Kavya's back from London and we're having a big family gathering. Maa wanted you to be there, too. Be there!

I decided to crash. At least for the free food.

*

[Argh, to be back here is a feeling on its own. My cuties!!!! How have you all been? I'm so, so, so, glad I could do this. It's so calming mentally to write. Are you excited to see how this story goes? Well, stay posted and send me love!!!!].