24 - Candor

April 17th - Aspen's bday bitchesss. mostly dialogue btw. I made it my goal this chapter to have Aspen have a moment with every single character. that means another long one :)

Someone laid next to her on the bed. More like they jumped onto the bed. Aspen turned her head over immediately, seeing a blond head of hair laying next to her.

"Morning, Penny." Peter sang, smirking at her. "Happy birthday!" He yelled loudly.

Aspen looked at him, utterly confused. "Thank you, Pete." She said slowly. "But you're not James."

He sighed and began to stand up. "No, but I was sent by him." He stretched before turning to look at her. "Well," he looked at her with open eyes. "Come on. The day isn't getting any longer."

Aspen scratched her head as she swung her legs over the side of the bed to stand up. "What's happening, Pettigrew?"

"I am to escort you to a top secret place."

"Sounds safe." She nodded and looked at him. "Sorry, I'm grumpy when I wake up. Thank you very much, Pete."

He bowed to her. "Anything for our Mini McGonagall."

"Wait, we have classes today. And why is the dorm empty?" She looked at him, her brows furrowed. But she had a mischievous smile on her face. "What is happening?" She repeated, slightly scared.

He waved her off, walking to the door. "Not of importance. Get yourself ready and meet me in the common room."

"So James is doing the same thing I did to him."

"Exactly, Penny. I knew you were smart."

"Pete." She called out to him.

He turned around, standing in the doorway. "What's up?" He asked.

She smiled and walked towards him. "Y'know what would be a great birthday present?"

"I already have-"

"Asking Sage out on a date. For me. Please."

He looked at her, winked, and left the room.

She laughed and began getting ready. James was constantly avoiding any mention of Aspen's birthday whenever they were together. In fact, all of her mates were avoiding the date. Oscar even gave her, Marlene, James, and Sirius the day off of practice. And the quidditch captain never did anything nice. That meant he was in on whatever was going on or James offered him something. It was probably the second one.

She put on green cargo pants, a black tank-top, and a grey jacket because it was still a little chilly. That was also the first time she checked the clock. It was early, just past 8. Whatever James and the others had planned would take the entire day.

She walked down to the common room. There was just Peter, like he said. "I'm ready, Pete." She smiled at him.

He nodded and smiled as well. "Then let us begin." He held his arm out for her.

She took it, entwining their arms. "So, can you give me a hint?" She asked as they walked out of the portrait hole.

"I am afraid not. I promised to keep the secret safe."

"Okay, then talk to me about something else. Like... how did you become friends with James and everyone?"

He smiled somberly. "I've known James since we children because our families were so connected. I sort of depended on him when we started school. And I'm sure James told you the whole story of how we all became mates."

"Sure. But what do you mean depended on him? You do perfectly on your own."

"I didn't up until last term. I was quiet and I kept to myself. The only people I was ever with were James and the girls. Sirius didn't like me very much because I was so withdrawn, and Remus and I had a complicated relationship. We just didn't make an effort to get to know each other. Then, for the first time, I had a girl who was interested in me. It was just after the Christmas holiday.