17 - A Final Farewell

"Pack it up, lads!"

James, of course, was yelling. Aspen and Sage groaned awake, feeling the effects of the morning's activities. The lot of them, excluding James, spent time--drunk--at the pool until about 9 am when they all went to sleep. Based on the moon out the window, Aspen figured it was way past 9 o'clock. Her mouth felt dry and her eyes puffy.

"Merlin, kill me." Sage sat up and sighed, rubbing her face. 

Aspen stood up and stretched. "I haven't taken a shower in days, changed clothes, or brushed my teeth, I'm tired, and my best friend is dead. I think we deserve a rest."

Sage nodded and yawned. "Agreed, Pen."

The door opened wide and, with it, a smiley little boy. "Come on, you two," James said brightly. He walked in with a gift box as well. He threw it at Sage. "For you. And we need to talk once we arrive."

"Where are we going?" Sage asked, inspecting the box.

"Well," James sauntered into the room, "To be more specific: we are going to Italy."

"My home?"

"Yup. I have been conversing with Matthew-"

"Matthew?" Aspen asked, suspicious, "Like the one that would beat your ass-"

"I could take him." James puffed his chest out and wrapped his arm around Aspen's shoulders. "I know you would love to see that." He mumbled before turning back to Sage. "Your sister's funeral is going to happen at midnight, tonight, and we are going."

Sage stood, crossing her arms. "Yeah, I know. I was going to invite everyone. They all deserve to come."

"That's the issue," James walked towards her, "We are not allowed to leave this house until the 3rd, tomorrow night. There are Aurors surrounding the house and, while you were sleeping, my mother gave us a strict lecture about not leaving. I'm not letting that happen." He looked between Aspen and Sage. "You two deserve to see her off."

Sage smiled and rubbed his shoulders. "You too, James." Sage whispered, tears dropping from her eyes, before pulling him into a hug. "Thank you." She sniffled and abruptly pulled out of the hug. "How-"

James held his hand up. "Shhh, just let me do my thing. Meet me at the pool when you are ready." He spared Aspen a wink before leaving.

Sage turned around on her heels. "And when the fuck were you going to tell me about that?"

Aspen shrugged. "I was going to wait until tomorrow. Y'know, since today I'm allowed to talk to you about Brianna."

"Oh, Aspen," Sage went to her quickly and hugged her tightly, "Don't do that for me. You can be happy."

"It feels wrong, Sage."

"Love shouldn't feel wrong, sweetheart. Embrace without the thought of my sister."

Aspen cried, grabbing onto her friend. "It's not right." She whimpered. "She deserves to be here."

"She's gone, and we're here." Sage pulled away slightly, leaning her forehead on Aspen's. "That means something, Aspen. It has to mean something." She pulled away though the two were still holding each other's hands. "Aspen, about tonight, I can't speak about..."

She smiled and cupped Sage's cheeks. "Of course, Sage. It would be an honor."

Sage shook her head and smiled weakly. "Don't talk like that. I think you've been spending too much time with James." She threw her arms down. "Listen, after tonight, no more crying about-" she paused, looking as though she had been stabbed. She took a deep breath. "Brianna." she said slowly, "She would slap us if we were being sad about her death instead of celebrating her life. Something cheesy like that."