19 - Back to Normal-ish

The crew spent another few days at the Potter Manor before returning to Hogwarts. It was a fun few days spent in the pool and outside followed by drinking and fighting. Literally fist fights- Remus and Sirius had a bet as to who was stronger, so, being the intelligent lads they are, they beat each other up. Fleamont had walked into that, but he just bet money on Remus. Fleamont won.

They received the letter from Hogwarts on the 4th that they would be returning the next day and classes were to resume on the 6th. That meant that Marlene, Peter, Remus, Mary, and Lily were able to return home. Aspen packed the little duffle bag of things she had whilst listening to Fleamont's old muggle records.

It was at the moment she was called down for dinner that an owl appeared at her window. It was an elegant white owl with a large beak, a piece of parchment in its beak. Confused, Aspen got up from her bed and opened the window. She pet the bird before taking the letter and opening up the letter. She read it.

You don't know me, you don't know I exist. As of this moment, no one-- and I mean absolutely no one-- can know I am reaching out to you. Especially Minerva. She cannot know. I was forbidden to contact you, but seeing as Brianna has now passed, I feel as though it is time. I am truly sorry that our mutual friend has passed; I know how close you two were. I was happy to hear what you two meant to each other through her correspondence. She is with the stars as she will shine brighter than the rest.

If you want to know more about me, please write back. Then it will not be my fault that our relationship has started. Again, no one can know about this letter. Aspen, absolutely no one can know. Not the Potter parents or their son, not Lyall's son; Not the McKinnons, MacDonalds, the Evans muggles, and under no circumstances can the Pettigrews know.

You may think this letter serves no purpose, but you are wrong. Please, darling, write back.
- Ashes

Now this was beyond weird. At first, Aspen was worried this might be one of Voldemort's spies. But this letter was for too... personal for it to be a ruse. Immediately, Aspen pulled out her parchment and ink, writing a simple: who are you and how do you know me. Not at all vague. She tied the letter to the owls talons and watched as it flew away.

She shook her head, left her room, and walked down the stairs. Before her feet had even touched the floor, she entered a room full of laughter and conversation. She smiled, seeing the Potter family sitting at the table, Fleamont with a cigar, Euphemia with a glass of wine, and James and Sirius arm wrestling.

"Ah, Aspen, dear!" Euphemia said and smiled. "Come, join us. A game of 21 is about to begin."

Aspen furrowed her brows as she sat across from James and next to Fleamont. "What is that?" She asked.

Fleamont gasped and looked at her, slightly hurt. "That hurts my heart to hear, Mini." He sighed and shook his head.

"Basically," James began, staring straight at her. Aspen held eye contact as he continued, "21 is a gambling game. There's going to be 2 cards in front of you, one face-down and the other face-up. Do not show anyone else the face-down card. The goal is to get your cards close to or at 21 without going over by deciding to hit-- add another card to your hand-- or pass. Faces count as 10, number cards count as their number, and Aces can either be 11 or 1, whatever works for your hand."

Aspen put on her best poker face, making sure to look slightly confused. "That makes enough sense."

Sirius sighed heavily and leaned back in his chair. "We are going to have fun losing. Aspen knows this game, I know it. And I know she's good."

"Well," Fleamont began to shuffle cards, "Let's see how she does against the master." he winked at Aspen.

She knew she would win.