21 - Brothers Again

March 17th - short but important filler

"Your little boyfriend is stuck in detention with me this whole week."

"Merlin, mum, he's not my boyfriend."

Minerva hummed and added another parchment to the graded pile. "At this point, darling, he should be." She tutted.

Aspen rolled her eyes. "We're just... taking it slow." She said, trying to convince herself.

"Minnie!"

Aspen looked back immediately to see all the Marauders entering her classroom. Aspen smiled.

Minerva sighed and set her glasses on her desk. "Mr. Potter, Mr. Lupin, Sirius, Mr. Pettigrew." She smiled as politely as she could. "What is it?"

James hugged Aspen's neck and kissed the top of her head. "We cannot go to detention, how deeply sorry I am." James spoke with his head on top of Aspen's.

"Why is that?" McGonagall raised her brows, unamused.

"We have long practices because of the match this saturday." Sirius answered. "We're going until curfew."

"Pettigrew and Lupin can come, can't they?"

"I have my study group for the 5th years all week and our extra prefect rounds." Remus sat on one of the desks, looking especially down in the dumps.

Peter cleared his throat. "I suppose I'm free." He mumbled with a soft smile.

Minerva shook her head and exhaled heavily. "It's all right. But you will be here next week, understood?"

"Yes ma'am." James kissed the top of Aspen's head before walking away.

"Thank you, Minnie!" Peter and Sirius yelled behind them.

Remus sighed and sat next to Aspen. Minerva looked at him, her brows raised. "Please, Minnie." He whined, "They've been too needy and energetic."

She shook her head. "I do enjoy spending time with my daughter, Lupin. Go eat something in the Great Hall." She waved him off and picked up her quill.

He stood up and began walking away. "I know I'm your favorite." He called to her.

"Out of your boy band, yes."

Aspen looked at her when the doors closed. "Is he really?"

"Sadly, yes."

"Why not James?"

"I shouldn't need to explain that, and he's also dating my daughter."

"That should make him your favorite."

"It does the opposite, sweetheart."

After talking to her mother for another few minutes, Aspen left to get a snack before Transfiguration began. It was the first break. She usually spent those breaks with her mother, especially recently. Aspen wrote Phoenix back, and the response was crushing.

Before we meet, I want you to get in contact with Minerva. It would pain me to visit my sister when my mum believes her to be dead or forgotten. She would love to hear from you. Either that or allow me to tell her as I have kept my promise and kept you a secret from all my mates. If you're going to be a part of my life, Minerva needs to be a part of yours.
- Aspen

It took a few days for Phoenix to respond. During those few days, Aspen was spending most of her time with James. She'd never been this in love before. Her stomach turned to butterflies whenever they were together; she allowed herself to be utterly consumed by thoughts of him. Their relationship was magical, but there's another problem: they weren't official. And the girls had a lot to say about that.