Thirty-Three

Rafa stood behind the upstairs living room curtains and watched her mother-in-law's car leave. She didn't dare make a movement, fearful of attracting her attention. Once the car disappeared down the lane, Rafa sprung into action. Supporting her abdomen with one hand, she looped her bag over her head and slipped on her sandals. Her feet had started to swell, and sandals were all she could wear these days.

She locked the front door behind her and got into her car. As she reversed in full speed, she asked Siri to call Yahya.

"I'm coming over," Rafa announced as soon as her brother answered. "Is anyone home?"

"Mom might be. What's wrong? Are you coming with a suitcase this time too?" There was a teasing element in his tone.

"Very funny," she said, grinning at herself for what she planned to retrieve.

Many years ago, in another lifetime it seemed, Rafa had purchased a sleek red dress for a formal event. The dress was perfect in all aspects, but being skinny due to her thyroid issues, the dress has hung on her in an unattractive fashion. It would fit perfectly now, she knew.

She upended her room, emptying out the whole cupboard in search of it.

"What are you looking for?" Her mother asked as soon as Rafa's eyes spotted the blood red dress.

"This," she whispered, grinning at it in awe.

Hours later Rafa slipped into the dress and admired how well it fit. She had been so disappointed when she had bought it years and years earlier, but hadn't been able to wear it. It reminded her of the impatience of man, his desire for immediate results and gratification. So many things in life have a particular timing, and rushing to experience those things was unwise.

Rafa grinned to herself. Abdur Rehman was going to get a real heart attack when he saw her, she thought.

She put on a pearl white hijab, matching flats, and a crisp black open front abaya. She wanted to go all out for him tonight. Putting on enough makeup to cover blotches and dark circles, she patted her abdomen and said, "Dad's going to love this."

She was putting on another coat of lipstick when she heard the garage door open. Shoving the stick inside her vanity, she rushed to the side door as fast as she could manage, and waited in anticipation for him to open the door and be surprised.

Abdur Rehman's eyes grew as big as saucer taking in her look. Rafa watched him freeze, his face slowly turning blue.

"Breathe!" She reminded him in between chuckles. "How do I look?" She struck a pose.

"I don't know what to say," he confessed, setting down his bag.

"There are so many words in the dictionary, Abdur Rehman, pick any." He took out his phone and started scrolling on it, piquing Rafa's curiosity. "What are you doing?" She cautiously asked, trying to look at the screen.

"I'm trying to find a synonym for you take away my breath, literally, you make me feel like the happiest man alive, and, how to know you haven't died and woken up in heaven."

"You're so corny!"

"Only when it comes to you." He neared her in an attempt to embrace her, but she pushed him away.

"Go get dressed, we're getting late!" She reminded. "There's going to be time for cuddles later."

Fifteen minutes later Abdur Rehman swiped a hand over his glossy black loafers, getting off a smudge of dust. The last time he had worn formal shoes was at their wedding.

"You look like a spy," Rafa remarked, getting up from the couch where she had been using her phone.

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?"