Sixteen (Part 1)

Another surprise update! Make sure to shower your love through comments

Weddings were no joke, especially when it came to intercultural weddings

It started with the number of events, then progressed to the debate of white versus red wedding dress, and then towards determining the number of guests. Rafa was compromising, he could see. But so was his mother. It had taken some polite negotiations between both families to settle on a number of guests that was more than the typical American wedding, but smaller than the typical desi wedding. The events were mutually condensed into two ceremonies, the nikah and reception.

The location for the nikah that Rafa picked out was a botanical garden, and fortunately the beauty of the place had won over his mother who had been adamant on getting a hall. The reception though, was decidedly determined as a dinner in the same hotel as the wedding suite the couple had picked to retreat to after the nikah.

Since the wedding date had been set only a couple of months ahead, arrangements were made last minute for guests who flew across the continent, mostly in hotels for which the ladies of his house prepared guest baskets, while he was put in charge of everything else. Thankfully Mahad came to the rescue again and again by picking guests from the airport and settling them into their hotel rooms, helping with the supplies for the day to day activities at home, and with helping Abdur Rehman finalize on a suit for the reception.

The closer members of the family roomed in his house, like his maternal and paternal grandmothers. And both women made sure to be at the center of all festivities.

"Gotta' give it to you, putar. Saday wastay gori nuh laya hai, achay pyaray pyaray bachayn hongay," his Nani gushed, accepting chai from Badr while Manahil, who had flown in a day before struggled to get her sons to seat themselves for breakfast. (You've managed to bring us a White daughter-in-law, that will surely produce beautiful babies)

Abdur Rehman's cheeks burned with his grandmother's bluntness, but he laughed it off. His Nani had arrived a couple of days after he finalized his engagement with Rafa, and since then she had been a constant source of teasing comments.