Seventeen (Part 2)

Rafa twisted and turned

Rafa twisted and turned. Her lower limbs shooted aching signal to her foggy brain, which made her begrudgingly open her eyes or at least let out a yawn. She stretched her hands to the back of her shoulders and tried to get up from her unsteady position.

The gurgling sound of the fish in the water reached her ears, making them perk in alarm and a wave of shock about where she was ran through her neurons. She opened her eyes as a quick reflex, blinking several times to locate her surroundings.

Realization hit her hard. She had been sprawled asleep in her in-laws house. Her new home. And with that thought, a deep longing ache resonated through her heart because she had passed the first night of her marriage without her husband by her side.

Sun rays peeked through the gaps of the curtains, and the open door of the balcony pooled the bright rays to form their own territory in the wood floors.

After freshening up from the attached bathroom, Rafa took her phone to read the time. The phone screen showed 9:42am and she let out a groan.

How can I be so lame?

It's the first day of her marriage and she had already missed fajr. Quickly going back to the bathroom, she made her wudhu and strolled back towards her phone to search the direction of qibla.

After finding it, she quickly prayed the missed prayer and after which she sincerely asked her Creator to guide her to the right path in this new journey.

Rafa wrapped her shawl around her head and opened her bedroom door, with no sign of her husband, she was bound to find him even when a big fat part in her heart held resonation towards him.

Not noticing anyone on the first floor, she carefully tread her steps through the stairs and on reaching the threshold of the stairs, her heart halted its search and there he was, her husband, Abdur Rehman sitting on the floor with his head leaning on the edge of the bed, his hand holding his mother's and eyes closed into a tried sleep.

Tayyaba held his hand and she was also resting, lying in the bed.

The sight caused warmth to seep through her blood, tugging her heart.