Eight

The silence was comforting, the warmth of the hall an embrace

Abdur-Rehman lifted his eyes off his fingers which were moving in tasbeeh, and surveyed the scantly occupied masjid hall. Despite the small number who had prayed the fajr salah, the masjid was bright with lights, busy with activity. It was amazing how while the world slept, the devoted bowed down for prayer.

His own stomach churned with gratitude and a sense of longing. He was grateful that he had been allowed to pray both fajr that morning and isha last night at the masjid,* but it had only been possible that particular time. Coming to the masjid was unfortunately limited to only once a week for jummah prayers, which was a reality that often upsetted him.

He reached for the hem of his trousers and rolled them down, pressing the creases. He was still in his work clothes from yesterday, which weren't per say dirty, but they weren't in the best state either. He wasn't in the best state.

The IT personnels had managed to start the computers late into the evening, after which countless employees like him had spent the night catching up with work. He was not obliged to stay because he was the manager, but being there for his team and assisting them had felt important—despite the gnawing feeling in his stomach for leaving his mother alone at night.

"You look tired," someone observed, appearing a few feet away. "Assalamu'alaikum."

"Wa'alaikum Salaam." Abdur Rehman stood up and straightened out his white shirt. Familiar eyes met his, and he instantly knew who it was. "I just got off from work."

"Ah, must have been an exhausting day then."

Abdur-Rehman smiled politely at Dr. Miller's brother, making his way to the shoe racks. "How are you?" He asked as the young man walked with him.

"Alhumdulillah, can't complain," his companion replied, his smile warm behind his blonde beard. Abdur Rehman eyed the faint dark circles under the younger man's eyes.

"I haven't seen you at this time before." He slipped his feet into his loafers, eye-ing Dr. Miller's brother's studs.

"I could say the same about you," the younger man said with a challenging grin.