One

"

"...But they plan, and Allah plans. And Allah is the best of planners." (8:30)

"Congratulations! You are pregnant!"

Rafa glanced up from the strip in her hands that held two pink lines, plastering a small congratulatory smile on her lips.

The couple in front of her gasped, their palms quickly covering their mouths, tears of happiness started to brim in their eyes before breaking down into smiles. They turned to each other, all the looks of disdain washed away with those pearl drops, and the husband engulfed his wife into a hug, kissing her hair and then her lips.

She peeled her eyes from the sight and tugged the sleeve of her peach shirt.

Perks of living in a western country is that the people don't follow any rules for public display of affection, they believe that affection can be shown to the world rather than hiding it in the confines of four walls.

The strings of her heart slowly lost a few beats. Though this had been the usual routine being a gynecologist—meeting pregnant couples, treating women to turn pregnant, operating the delivering women, attending the ones who suffered with abortions, and all the other deficiencies of the female uterus, Rafa couldn't stop herself from feeling lonely.

Perhaps, crossing the silver jubilee of her age, the twenty five mark brought itself with a vacant feeling, and with her friends Ahmed and Samra settling with each other while Jesima had someone who she can adhere to for the rest of her life, all Rafa could crave was to experience the warmth of love and married life.

The bachelorhood seemed despicable and she wished to meet her other half desperately, the one on whom she could lean on when she felt alone, with whom she could watch numerous sunrises and sunsets with, in whose masculine arms she could take refuge in the nights, to whom she could share her body and soul.

"Doctor?" The husband addressed her, eventually grabbing her attention from the small spree of sad thoughts she always delved in.

"Yes?