Chapter 42

*on the phone with Nicole's mom*

Her mom: Nicole, get here quick please!
*sounds of crying and sirens*
Nicole: Mom what's wrong? Are you okay?
Her mom:My house! Everything! It's gone!
*sob noises through phone*

As I'm on the phone with my mom as soon as she tells me to get there quick I get up and throw pants on.
"Dom! We have to go to my moms!" I yell after I hang up.

"Why what's wrong?" He says as he quickly gets up and grabs pants to put on.

"Her house is on fire." I say and throw on shoes.
"Nicole . . . Is your dress okay?"

I look at him blankly for a few seconds then it hits me. MY WEDDING DRESS.
My eyes fill with tears.
"Oh-oh my god" I say as I practically fly downstairs.
Everyone looks at me.
"River, Jack, we have to go. Now. Can the rest of you watch the twins?" I say frantically.

"Of course. What's wrong?" Tom asks.
"My moms house is on fire" I say while sobbing.

"Shit!!" River says as he throws shoes on. Jack throws on shoes and us 4 quickly leave the house.

As soon as we get to my moms the car isn't even in park yet as I jump out and run over to my mom.

The house. My childhood home. Engulfed in flames right before my very eyes.

I go over to my mom and hug her tightly.
She hugs me back just as tightly then does the same to River.

Dom comes over to me and holds me close as we watch my childhood home in flames. Me, my mom, and River stand there sobbing as they put the flames out.

Once the fire is out and it's safe, we are able to go over and search through the rubble as much as we can with flashlights.

I walk over to the area my childhood bedroom was standing just hours before. I find the ashes of my wedding dress and the bag it was in.

"My wedding dress" I say and choke on a sob.
Dom comes over and crouches in front of it along with me.

"It's okay luv. You can get another one, although I know it won't be the same." He says and rubs my back.

My mom walks over and grabs the safe from the area her bedroom once was. She picks it up and thankfully it's untouched because it's fire resistant.

I walk over to where my nightstand used to be. I look through the ashes from it and I find a container that wasn't burnt. I pick it up and inside is a bunch of pregnancy tests. 3 positive, the rest are negative.

Dom comes over and looks at them with me.
"What are those?" He asks me.

"I always had to make sure I wasn't pregnant. My father got me pregnant twice." I say to Dom.

"Whose was the third?" He asks.
"The boy I met my sophomore year. He was a senior. All he wanted was sex. Once I told him I was pregnant he paid for an abortion and paid me extra to never tell a soul." I say then throw them back on the ground.

I continue looking around and then all of a sudden I hear River yell "How the fuck was my handcuffs and paddle the only thing to not torch?!".

We look over at him and burst out laughing.

"It's okay, pregnancy tests survived over here but not my wedding dress!!" I yell back and chuckle.

"Oh my god your dress!!!" My mom yells then I hear her choke on a few sobs. Her girlfriend rubs her back as she cries.

I look at her and frown.
I walk over and hug her tightly.
"It's okay mama, I'll get another" I say to her.

"Nicole, no dress will ever compare to THE dress." She states.