Family

Will

I fell asleep in the car on the way into London and only woke up as we pulled up in the courtyard of Kensington Palace. I had to drop a few things off and put on a clean shirt before then going over to Buckingham Palace for Granny's Christmas Lunch. I got out the car and went inside. I expected Harry to be there. He had finished school for the Christmas holidays, but the house was quiet. Perhaps he was already over at BP or maybe he had gone to meet Papa at Clarence House.

Harry had had a rough few years since our mother died. Starting at Eton right after your mother's just died is hard enough, but when everyone in the world knows what happened to her and you can't turn a corner without someone mentioning her, or talking about the fact he was my younger brother. I think it had taken a toll on him, to the point my father and grandmother had become quite concerned about him. They had sent him to several drug rehabilitation experts over the past year since Pa found out that he was smoking cannabis with some friends from school. Granny was livid and had even called me to Windsor to see her to talk about what we were going to do about Harry. That seemed to be the question on a lot of people's minds. What are we going to do about Harry? I knew that even having a baby out of wedlock as the second in line to the throne wasn't as bad as everything Harry had done in the past year. At least not in the eyes of my family. Lots of the things going on with Harry had been kept a secret to protect him, and the rest of the family as well.

I knew that the public weren't entirely supportive about Catherine and I having Alice. I'd read in newspapers in Australia and on the plane on the way home that people were outraged and appalled about the situation. There was lots written to say that we must have known that Catherine was pregnant, alongside paparazzi photos of her, where they'd tried to make it look like she had a bump. But there was also the opposite of that, there was lots of educational articles about cryptic pregnancies and how they can happen to everyone, especially when you're young and that there were certain things to look out for.

I had a quick shower and got dressed into a suit from my wardrobe. I stood in my bedroom, fixing my tie in the mirror when I caught sight of a photo of my mother and I in a frame by my bed. I finished doing my tie before turning around and looking at it much closer. I took a deep breath, thinking about how much she would love to be here now, how much she would love to meet Alice. I can just imagine how much she would dote on her and completely and utterly adore her. She had two boys, so to have a little girl as her first grandchild, I think she would have loved that. Someone to take shopping and wear pretty dresses with and brush each others hair. Don't get me wrong, Harry and I did so much fun stuff with my mother, which we both enjoyed. But I could just picture my mother with a granddaughter following her around, slipping on her shoes or stealing her handbags. I picked up the photo and stroked my thumb over my mother's face, smiling as I did.

"You would love her Mummy." I whispered as a tear rolled down my face and dripped onto the frame. I wiped my face and then the frame, just as I heard the front door of the apartment slam shut downstairs.

"Willy, are you here?" Harry's voice shouted up the stairs as I frantically wiped my face of any evidence of tears.

"I'm in my room." I shouted back, before I listened to him bounding up the stairs and push my bedroom door open. He had a McDonalds bag in his hand and a rucksack slung over his shoulder. "Harold, how are you?" I said, trying to take a chip from him.

"Get off. I'm good." he replied. "How are you? Where's Cath and the baby?"

"They're at Kate's parents. Kate's exhausted, we thought it was a bit much, you know coming back from Australia and going straight to meet all the family." I explained. "Just give me a chip."