Home

Kate

"What do you mean you don't know where you'd going to live after you graduate?" My mother asked as she sat in our kitchen in our house in St Andrews. She had just arrived as this week was William and I's final week at university, with our graduation was happening on Saturday. 

"We just aren't sure yet. William's going to Sandhurst in January so will have a few months to figure things out and spend some time with Alice." I explained to her, as my father came out of the bathroom and joined us.

"I just think you should be thinking about these things. It's not just you you're thinking about, is it?" she said, raising her eyebrow at me.

"Go easy on her Carole, she's got lots to think about." My father said, placing his hand on my mother's. "Are William and Alice not here?" he asked.

"Alice is asleep still. She's still having an hour or so after lunch and Wills has gone out with his water polo friends." I explained. I made us all a cup of tea and just as we were about to sit down at the kitchen table to drink it, I heard Alice through the baby monitor, so I went to get her.

"Hello my Pally bug, did you have a nice sleep?" I said as I lifted her out of her cot. She had developed the nickname Pally over the last few months from various people referring to her as P Alice instead of Princess Alice. At first, it irritated me, but over time, I had come to quite like how much it suited her.

"Mumma, hi." she said as I held her on my hip and kissed her head. Her hair had got longer recently and she had just enough to get a light brown ponytail from it. 

"Shall we go and see Grandma and Grandpa?" I asked her and she looked excited. I took her downstairs, where my parents were waiting eagerly. Alice had a snack before she played with some toys with my parents until my mother offered to go for a walk with her. This was always her favourite thing to do with Alice, ever since she was tiny and I had some things to do, so I was more than happy for them to go out. 

"You know your mother only goes on like that because she cares Catherine." my father said, once my mother had gone out with Alice. I was trying to pack our things up as we were moving out of this house in a few weeks. Alice and I were going to my parents house and William was going on tour to New Zealand for two weeks.

"I know she cares but she doesn't half go on about things that are already going around in my own head." I told him.

"You and William still don't know where you're going to live? Or what you're going to do?" my father asked.

"No. He'll go to Sandhurst in January and I don't know what I want to do. I don't know what I can do, it's not exactly easy trying to find a job when William is who he is." I explained.

"I'd give you a job." my father said, smiling brightly at me.

"You would?" I questioned.

"Of course. Mummy and I would have you at Party Pieces." he suggested.

"Really?" I asked, unsure about whether he was serious or not. 

"Kate, of course we would. We were talking about employing someone else, and it would mean you could be flexible, around Alice, you'd have a very understanding boss." he joked, causing me to smile.

"What about Mummy? I love her, but that would be a lot, to live and work with her." I said.

"Don't live with us then. You and Alice could live in the flat, in London, that way you'd be in the city for meetings, we could still pop up and see you, and you could come to us. You also wouldn't be a million miles away from William at Sandhurst." my father continued.