Future

Kate

When I woke up the following morning, I could hear the faint noise of birds outside my window. But apart from that the room was silent. I rolled over, remembering William wasn't here and then rubbed my eyes before looking over to Alice's Moses basket, which lay empty. I rubbed my eyes again, and looked around the room. For a split second, I thought I'd fallen asleep feeding her last night and she'd rolled off the edge of the bed. But she wasn't even in my room. I threw the duvet off me and got out of bed, putting on my slippers and wrapping my dressing gown around me before leaving the room. 

I was reassured as I went down the stairs and heard my mother chatting away to Alice in the kitchen. She had no idea about my slight panic when I walked in.

"Good morning Kit Kat, would you like a cup of tea?" my mother asked.

"Yes please." I replied, walking over to her to check Alice was alright.

"Don't worry, she's fine. I heard her stirring when I got up and I thought you'd appreciate the extra time in bed. She's been a dream, apart from the nappy but I made your father sort that one out." my mother said, as I lifted Alice out of her arms and held her against my chest.

"I'm a little out of practice on that front Kate." my father said from the kitchen table. He had his glasses on and was reading something in front of him.

"Are you alright?" My mother asked, as I looked down at Alice in my arms.

"Fine, yes, I just worried a little when I woke up and she wasn't there." I told her.

"Oh Kate, darling, you needn't stress, she's alright, and you've got an extra hours sleep in. You go and sit down darling, I'll bring you over a cup of tea and then I'll take your breakfast order." My mother said, placing her hand on my shoulder. I thanked her, before going to sit down at the kitchen table beside my father.

"I didn't know that Alice's birth certificate would say this." he said, pointing to the part which stated her name to be Her Royal Highness Princess Alice Elizabeth Diana Rosabel of Wales.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean the title, I didn't know it would be part of her name." he said, leaning back in his chair and removing his glasses from his face.

"Yes, it's part of her name, regardless of who she becomes. She'll have that on her passport as well, same as William's." I told him.

"And they'll call her all of that when she goes to school?" he asked.

"No, I expect she'll just use Wales as her surname. That's what William is at uni. He just goes by William Wales, so I expect she'll be Alice Wales. But she'll have that title for the rest of her life." I told him, as my mother brought me a cup of tea to the table.

"Alice Wales, that's got a lovely ring to it, doesn't it?" she said, smiling. 

"I thought so too, suits you doesn't it little Alice Wales?" I agreed, looking down at her, still sleeping in my arms.

"Right, who wants what for breakfast?" my mother asked, as the back door opened, and my brother walked in, bringing a cold air with him as he did.

"I'll take a bacon sandwich Mummy," he smiled, before looking at me. "Hello you." he smiled.

"Hello you." I replied. As he walked around, I stood up to hug him, careful of Alice, who lay sleeping between us. "I've missed you." I said quietly before pulling away.

"So this is little Alice Middleton?" he asked.

"Not Middleton, that's your job to produce the Middleton heirs." I joked.