Birthday

Alice

"Lying about what?" Mumma asked Grandma as I lay snuggled in her arms. Grandma didn't reply, she just raised her eyebrow at Mummy, in the same way that Mummy did that to me, if I wasn't telling her the truth. "Alright fine, you do know, I'm rubbish at hiding things from you."

"So you have some exciting news then?" Grandma asked, just as Pa and Grandad came back into the room, each holding two cups of tea in their hands. They placed the mugs on the coffee table in front of us and then sat down on the sofa too, all while Mummy and Grandma just smiled at each other.

"We do have some exciting news, don't we?" Mummy eventually said. Grandad looked clueless, but I turned around to look at Mummy, who was beaming brightly. "Alice sweet, why don't you tell Grandma and Grandad the exciting news?"

"I thought we weren't telling anyone?" I whispered.

"Pally, I promise, you can tell them." Pa said. I nodded and turned around to them and smiled.

"Mummy's having a baby." I told them and they excitedly congratulated Mummy and Papa.

"I feel so horrendous Mum." Mummy said once everyone had finished congratulating and hugging each other. "I don't remember feeling like this with Alice. I mean, I know I didn't know, but I wasn't sick like this, at any point in that year before she was born."

"I know but darling, every pregnancy is different and some days you'll feel awful and other days you'll feel alright. I had terrible morning sickness with James, but it was never so bad with you or Pippa." Grandma explained.

"Maybe that means you're having a boy." Grandad added.

The following day, Sunday, was rather quiet. Grandma and Grandad stayed for brunch and James, Pippa, and Pippa's boyfriend James came and joined us as well. I had gotten up and had a cuddle with Mummy in bed, but when I got ready, she had stayed in bed as she still felt pretty rubbish. It didn't stay a secret for very long that Mummy was having a baby, as Papa told me I could tell them as well.

"Are you sure you don't want us to wait a couple of hours and take Alice back to school?" Grandma asked Papa when they were getting ready to go home.

"No, really, thank you for the offer. But I'll drop her back this evening, when we've had a few more presents and some cake." Pa said, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"I don't think Mumma's really in the mood for cake." I told him.

"No, but she will love to see you open your presents." Pa said. We both waved Grandad and Grandma off from the doorstep before going back inside, where Mummy had come down from upstairs and was sat on the sofa, with a pile of presents on the coffee table in front of her.

"Are you ready to open some presents Alice?" she asked and I nodded excitedly before sitting down beside her. For the rest of the afternoon, I opened my presents and played with the toys. Mummy and Papa sang happy birthday to me and Pa and I ate some cake after we'd had pizza for dinner. Mummy hadn't been able to keep much down for the whole day and it was only when it got a bit later in the evening that Papa started to get very worried about her.

"Pally bear, go and put your pyjamas on will you? I don't want to leave Mummy here on her own right now, so I'll take you back to school first thing in the morning, ok?" I agreed and went upstairs and put my pyjamas on. I got my school clothes ready to put on in the morning and packed the rest of my things into my bag to take back to school. The three of us watched TV for a little while, before Mummy and I both fell asleep on the sofa.

In the morning, Papa woke me up early. I was in my bed, but I don't remember getting into bed last night, so he must have carried me from the living room when I fell asleep. He sat on the edge of my bed and stroked the hair out of my face.