What is Love?

Alice

"Alice, can you come down here a minute?" Mummy called from the bottom of the stairs, as I sat in my bedroom, trying to do some homework, one Sunday afternoon. I got up from my desk and went downstairs, following her along the corridor and to the kitchen. The house was quiet, as George and Charlotte were both having an afternoon nap. Papa was sat at the island, and I sat at the stool beside him. "Alice, Pa and I have been talking, and we think that it might be time for you to join in one of our campaigns." Mummy said.

"Are you sure?" I asked them both.

"Yes, of course we're sure. You have been amazing at the events you've done over the last few months and this project is all about changing the future, and you are the future Pal." Pa said, placing his hand on my shoulder. I nodded, looking down at the counter, while the two of them talked about the work that I'd be doing with them.

"Can I go to Harry's?" I asked, once they'd finished talking.

"Yeah, sure." Pa replied, sounding quite confused. I got up from the island and went downstairs where I put my shoes on, and then left out the front door. I was walking across the courtyard, when I saw Harry getting out of the back of a car.

"Harry." I called as I got closer to him, and the car drove away. He turned around, as he took off his suit jacket and half smiled at me. "Can I talk to you about something?" I asked, as I reached him. He titled his head slightly, knowing that I was serious and then nodded.

"Come on, I'll make you a hot chocolate or something." he said, and I followed him to his house, where we went inside. "Go through to the kitchen, I'm just going to change quickly." he told me, before bounding up the stairs. I went into the kitchen, and sat down at the island, where there was framed picture in the middle of Harry and his girlfriend Meghan. I picked it up, and looked at it, before placing it back down. 

"So come on then, what's up?" Harry asked, when he returned downstairs. I didn't answer, but stared at the photo on the island, before looking up at Harry.

"Do you think you'll marry Meghan?" I asked. Harry coughed slightly, potentially as he wasn't quite expecting me to ask that question.

"I don't know. I would love to, but I don't know if she would want to marry me." he replied.

"But do you love her enough to marry her? Do you love her so much that you'd be willing to give up on something else?" I asked. He turned around and leant against the island opposite me.

"What is this about?" he questioned.

"Did you know that if Mummy and Pa never got married, then I would never become Queen one day?" I asked him. He looked away from me, as he nodded. "Why? Why did Mummy and Pa have to get married, for me to be Queen?" 

"They didn't get married for that reason, but they did know that would happen, when they chose to get married. But I guess they love each other enough to be married, and they thought that you would be able to handle becoming Queen. Trust me when I tell you that Wills didn't take the decision lightly." Harry explained. "Alice, they know, I know, our whole family knows that you have the qualities to make the most amazing Queen, Kate and Wills knew that, when you were barely walking, so by the time you were eight or nine, they knew, you'd be able tot handle whatever was thrown at you, we all know that. I know it feels like there should be someone to blame, but sometimes in life, but especially in this family, it's just about when you're born, and there's nothing we can do to change that." 

"I don't want to change it. I just, I just don't understand how Mummy and Pa can love each other so much that they wanted to get married, even if they knew what that meant for me?" I told him, rubbing my face in my hands. I had barely been able tot stop thinking about things since a few weeks ago, when Mummy and Pa had told me about why I would become Queen.