New

Alice

"Alice bear, are you in here?" Mummy said as she knocked lightly on the door of my bedroom. I was sat on the floor, with a suitcase in front of me, as well as a packing list for my new senior school. "Hey, bear, I need to talk to you about something." she said, coming into my room and perching on the edge of my bed.

"What is it Mumma?" I asked.

"It's about you going to school." she said, as I finished folding my jumper and looked up at her. "I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to take you to school on Thursday." she said, fiddling with her ring so she could avoid looking at me.

"Ok." I said, before turning around to go back to my packing.

"I'm sorry Alice, I wish I could, but it's just," she hesitated, and I turned back around to look at her. "I have to go to a doctors appointment." 

"What for? Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yes, I'm ok, it's just a check up." she hesitated again. "Come here." she said, patting the bed beside her. I got up from the floor and sat beside her as she put her arm around me. "How would you feel if I told you that you are going to be a big sister again?" I gasped, as I looked up at her.

"So so excited, really? Is it really true?" I asked, leaping off the bed and smiling brightly. 

"Yes, yes it really is." she said, and I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tight. "But you remember, like it was with George, we just need to keep it quiet, just for a little while, ok?" Mummy said, as she pulled away from me.

"I know, don't worry, my lips are sealed." I said, pretending to zip my mouth closed.

"Alice, darling, I've got your clean shirts, ready for school." Maria said as she knocked on my bedroom door, and walked in. "Oh, sorry to interrupt." she apologised.

"It's alright Maria, not to worry at all." Mummy told her.

"Thank you for my shirts." I said, as I got off the bed and took them from her. "Mumma, are we allowed to tell Maria? Please, please." I asked as I put the shirts by my suitcase.

"Tell me what?" Maria asked.

"Go on then, but same rules apply, it goes no further than this room." Mummy said, with a stern look on her face. I nodded, before turning around to Maria.

"Maria, Mummy's having another baby." I said excitedly. Maria smiled and congratulated Mummy until we heard George wake up downstairs.

"I'll go and get him." Mummy said, getting up to leave the room.

"Who is going to take me to school then Mummy?" I asked, as she reached the door.

"Papa's working, Maria will be here looking after George so might have to be Grandma and Grandad, is that ok?" she asked.

"Yes, it's ok." I told her, and she left out the door and went downstairs to George's room.

"Are you alright, with Mummy not taking you to school?" Maria asked, once Mummy had gone. I nodded, sitting back down on the floor by my suitcase.

"I am, I'd rather that she and the baby were ok, instead of her coming to school, especially after she was so ill last time, with George, but that doesn't mean I'm not sad that she won't be there, and Pa not there either, but it's ok, I love having Grandma and Grandad too." I explained, as Maria sat down on the floor beside me.

"They adore you, I would offer to take you, but I don't think your brother would appreciate the car journey." she said.

"No, I don't expect Tips would enjoy it, and he isn't old enough to really understand what's happening anyway." I agreed. "I'm happy with Grandma and Grandad taking me, I don't mind."