Proud

Will

"The press have asked if you'd like to have Alice as a part of the interview?" Jamie, my press officer asked. I thought for a moment, it hadn't occurred to me before now that we could include Alice in the interview. Of course we'd have to brief her on what she could and couldn't say, but it would be great experience for her and she was as much a part of mine and Catherine's relationship as the two of us were.

"Yes please Jamie, I think she'd enjoy that." I told him. "You will make sure that the questions are sent over, won't you?" I checked.

"Of course." 

When I got back to the flat in Chelsea that evening, Alice and Kate were both having dinner. I told them about the interview, which Alice seemed pleased about while I joined them to eat. But that evening, after Alice was in bed, Kate didn't seem as impressed about the idea.

"What if she says something she isn't supposed to William?" Kate asked.

"Kate, she's known about our engagement for almost a month and hasn't told a soul. We'll know the questions by tomorrow so we'll be able to talk to her about what she can and can't say." I reassured her.

"William, she's only eight, sometimes I think you forget that." she remarked.

"Of course I know that, but we have to start preparing her for the life she'll lead. We can't wrap her in cotton wool forever." I told her as I walked towards her.

"I know, I know that, I'm sorry." she said as she burst into tears. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her as she sobbed into my chest. 

"Is it just Alice, or is it something else?" I asked, once she's wiped her eyes with her sleeves.

"It's just Alice, I promise. I just never thought there'd be so many big decisions to make as a parent and sometimes I don't think I should be the one to make the decisions." she told me.

"Hey, there's no rule book, we just have to do what's best for her. And I want her to feel involved, because the next few months are going to be massive for us and our relationship, but also for her and her future." I told Kate. 

"I know." she agreed, putting her head back on my chest.

It was the following Tuesday, when Catherine, Alice and I were sat in a car on the way to St James' Palace and the news came over the radio of our engagement.

"The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton. The wedding will take place in the Spring or Summer of 2011, in London. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course. Prince William and Miss Middleton became engaged in October during a private holiday in Kenya with Princess Alice. Prince William has informed The Queen and other close members of his family. Prince William has also sought the permission of Miss Middleton's father. Following the marriage, the couple will live in North Wales, where Prince William will continue to serve with the Royal Air Force." the announcement said, before the radio played a song, which the driver turned down to congratulate us. Alice rested her head on my arm and looked up at me.

"You alright Pally?" I asked her quietly, as she sat in between Kate and I in the back of the car.

"Yes Papa." she replied softly. I knew she was nervous, her quiet demeanour all morning had shown that. Kate and I had tried not to make a big deal about things, but we'd told her last night that today, the news of our engagement would be public and she might find that people at school would ask questions, or she'd hear whispers. Alice had always been so aware of people around her, I guess that came with growing up hearing whispers about you in the playground. She hadn't ever let it get her down, but she knew it happened. I worried that it would slowly have an impact on her, but simultaneously I knew she had to get used to it, because it would continue for the rest of her life.