04. Uncle Apollo

1st POV
Adira

My mom walked me and my brother through the woods

My mom walked me and my brother through the woods. It was silent, and it was just like old times. Once we were deep enough in the woods, she began speaking.

"I know what's happening at home, my children."

I looked at Brett, who was looking solemnly at me. My shoulders dropped. "I am so sorry for you," she explained, and when I looked up at her, she was different. She looked just like the Artemis I grew up with. The mother. Light brown hair, silver eyes. Broad shoulders. Tanned skin. She crouched down, putting her hand on my shoulder and Brett's.

"It happened because of me. That just reminds me that men are fools."

Brett looked up, scrunching his eyebrow.

"Most of them, anyway."

I rubbed my elbow. "Y'know... it's..." I sucked through my teeth, "...Dad. It's getting taken care of, anyway," I explained, looking at the floor.

"It shouldn't be," Mom mumbled and I looked up at her, confused.

"Meaning... that your father should be loving you. Not going into court. Your step-mother, Cassie, cares for you both. I'd do anything in my power to protect you, my children." She put her kind, warm hand behind our ears.

"I can't believe I ever trusted that man. Even 'married'. Aphrodite got the best of me. I pledged never do it again. It'd just make my children bigger targets," she explained.

I nodded. But then I realized what she meant. "That's why you left... to protect us."

"Yes, Adira. But, I didn't really protect you. It ruined your father. He turned to alcohol and drugs. But turns out, he was the one putting you children in danger. Even put his newborn son on the line, who wasn't godly blood," Artemis shook her head.

I thought back to a few months ago, when Hermes told me Dad was his son. "But he's a-"

"Son of Hermes, god of messaging. I persistently know, child."

I looked down at the floor, trying to focus but my mind drifted off to Annie.

"I'll find Annabeth. Don't fret, child," she said, as if reading my mind. "It was my fault," I said, burrowing my head in my hands, and sitting on tree roots. Brett sat beside me.

"That isn't fair, Adi. You and me both know that thinking like that isn't fair. Mother dearest will find you. Won't you, Mother dearest?" Brett asked.

My mother nodded.

"He's a kind boy. Jackson," she began, out of nowhere.

"You think so?" I asked, picking up my head. "I do," she nodded. "And I know you like him, child. I know you two are in a relationship. I know how you feel about him acting nervous around you. It makes you feel happy, like he's something that's been missing. But, I need you to remember... boys are nothing but trouble."