06. Satanic Birds

1st Person
Adira

The next few days were torture, just like Tantalus wanted

First, there was Tyson moving into the Poseidon cabin, which I sadly volunteered to help, giggling to himself every fifteen seconds and saying, "Percy is my brother?" like he'd just won the lottery.

"Aw, Tyson," he'd say. "It's not that simple."

But there was no explaining it to him. He was in heaven. And Percy...as much as he liked the big
guy, I bet he couldn't help but feel embarrassed. Ashamed. He'd kill me if he figured I had said that.

And then there were the comments from the other campers. Suddenly, I wasn't Percy Jackson's best friend (one of them anyway). Now I was Percy Jackson's friend, who brought a monster to camp. I shrugged at the thought of it. I had to be nice... gotta be nice.

"He's not my real brother!" Percy protested whenever Tyson wasn't around.

"He's more like a half-brother on the monstrous side of the family. Like...a half-brother twice removed, or something."

"Yeah, sure," I'd reply.

Nobody bought it.

I tried to make Percy feel better. I then suggested we team up for the chariot race to take our minds off our problems. Don't get me wrong—we both hated Tantalus and we were worried sick about camp—but we didn't know what to do about it. Until we could come up with some brilliant plan to save Thalia's tree, we figured we might as well go along with the races. After all, my mom, Artemis, had been said to ride across the fastest chariot in the night sky, and Poseidon had created horses. Together we would own that track.

One morning, Percy and I were sitting by the canoe lake sketching chariot designs when some jokers from Aphrodite's cabin walked by and asked me if I needed to borrow some eyeliner for my eye..."Oh sorry, eyes."

As they walked away laughing, I grumbled, "Just ignore them, Percy. It isn't your fault you have a monster for a brother."

"He's not my brother!" he snapped. "And he's not a monster, either!"

I raised my eyebrows. "Hey, don't get mad at me! And technically, he is a monster."

"Well, you and Annabeth gave him permission to enter the camp."

"Don't bring Annabeth into this," I shouted, my temperature definitely rising. "Because it was the only way to save your life! I mean...I'm sorry, Percy, I didn't expect Poseidon to claim him. Cyclopes are the most deceitful, treacherous, disgusting—"

"He is not! What have you got against Cyclopes, anyway?"

My nose scrunched.

"Just forget it," I said, nearly throwing my pencil into the ocean. "Now, the axle for this chariot—"