25. A Rainbiw Saves the Day

1st Person
Adira

"You'd think he'd run out of rocks," Percy muttered

"Swim for it!" Grover said.

"Hold on, Annie," I commanded, and she clung to my neck. "But I have to help-" she began.

"No, Annabeth Chase. You listen to me. You need to calm down. Rest. That's the best you can do, right now," I explained, and I plunged into the water.

Grover and Clarisse plunged into the surf. Annabeth hung on to my neck and tried to paddle with one hand, the wet Fleece weighing her down.

I could hear the yelling behind me.

"You, young Cyclops!" Polyphemus roared. "Traitor to your kind!"

Tyson froze.

"Don't listen to him!" Percy pleaded. "Come on."

"I am not a traitor."

"You serve mortals!" Polyphemus shouted. "Thieving humans!"

Polyphemus threw his first boulder. Tyson swatted it aside with his fist.

"Not a traitor," Tyson said. "And you are not my kind."

"Death or victory!" Polyphemus charged into the surf, but his foot was still wounded.

He immediately stumbled and fell on his face. That would've been funny, except he started to get up again, spitting salt water and growling.

"Percy!" Clarisse yelled. "Come on!"

"Go," Tyson must've told Percy. "I will hold Big Ugly."

"No! He'll kill you. We'll fight him together."

"Together," Tyson agreed.

I heard the drawing of a sword.

Polyphemus advanced carefully, limping worse than ever. But there was nothing wrong with his throwing arm. He chucked his second boulder. Percy dove to one side, but still would've been squashed if Tyson's fist hadn't blasted the rock to rubble.

A twenty-foot wave surged up, lifting Percy on its crest. He rode toward the Cyclops and kicked him in the eye, leaping over his head as the water blasted him onto the beach.

"Destroy you!" Polyphemus spluttered. "Fleece stealer!"

"You stole the Fleece!" I yelled. "You've been using it to lure satyrs to their deaths!"

"So? Satyrs good eating!"

"The Fleece should be used to heal! It belongs to the children of the gods!"

"I am a child of the gods! Father Poseidon, curse this thief!"

"Poseidon won't curse me," Percy said, backing up as the Cyclops grabbed air. "I'm his son, too. He won't play favorites."