01. Prologue

1st Person
Adira

1st PersonAdira

🌙

Throughout the school year, Percy and I sent letters to each other frequently. Every other day, I'd get another letter, replying to my previous one. It was my getaway from school, the newborn baby boy, my dad. He was worse than ever. The yelling was intolerable, and... the other stuff. I sat down at my desk, holding an ice pack to the bruise that was growing on my eyelid. I grabbed a pencil and a piece of paper, trying to block out all the yelling coming from Dad; siding with himself and Cassie; who was siding with my siblings.

Matthew, the baby, was crying in his crib, which was in me, Brett's, a newly moved in Noah and finally, Carlos's room. I stuck the pencil in the crevice of my ear, and sighed, walking over to the baby. I picked him up. He was 8 months old, but was still a little bald. He had Cassie's dark blonde hair, like mine, and my dad's dark brown eyes. You could barely tell he was related to me. He was crying, and spitting all over my face.

"Yeah, I know. Sissy's doesn't look pretty with a bruise," I cooed, narrowing my eyes. I sat down onto the bed, cradling him in my arms. I looked around his cradle.

"Where is that pacifier?" I asked, looking around my desk. The sea-green and silver pacifier; which were my favorite colors, was on my sheets of paper, and I grabbed it. I looked at it. It had specks of dirt on it. Dirty.

"Great," I said to myself. I slowly opened the door, and walked into the hallway and down the stairs to the kitchen. There my family was, and now Brenna was yelling at my Dad. Asher was yelling too, backing up Brenna.

Asher was now 18. Carlos was 17. Brenna is 16. Noah was almost 15, he turns on May 12. And then there's me and Brett, who were still 14 from our birthdays. Mariana's 8, though she matured. She acts like she's 13, but no, she's still in the single digits. Cassie was sitting on a chair to the dining table. My older brother, Corey, was now 23, and graduating from college in a year, to become a teacher.

I walked towards the sink, and I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. Brett picked me up, and spun me around. He put me down. "Hey," he said. "Hi."

"How's the eye?" he asked, pointing to it. "Swollen. Bruising. Regular day," I said, as Noah and Brenna walked behind us. Dad had stomped out the house, slamming the door behind him, and I could've sworn he'd cracked the glass window.

Cassie began sobbing, and we all ran over. "I'm... sorry kids. I wish there was something I could do," she said, covering her eyes.

"You could... I don't know... adopt us?" Brenna asked, placing her hands on her hips. "Divorce him, adopt us. He could go to jail, and this could be our house. Adira wouldn't have to get hurt anymore. Carlos wouldn't have to take us to hotels at midnight anymore," Asher said. She's 18, but still in school, so she's legally not allowed to move out yet.

"Let's just... try to hold on till Camp. I'm leaving a day or two early to surprise Percy up at his school," I said, wincing as I put my ice pack on my face.

"WAAAAAAGHHHH!"

"Ugh... it's Matthew," I said, looking at the pacifier in my hand. I turned on my heel and washed the pacifier and ran back to my room.

"I got it," I said, in a sing-songy voice. I slowly put it in his mouth, and he immediately fell back asleep. "Thank goodness," I said, sitting back down. I grabbed the pencil from my ear. I began writing.

Dear Seaweed Brain, or Mr. Perseus James (Percy) Jackson,     03/14

It's been a few days since I sent a letter, and I'm sorry. Life has been very... fortunate. Thank the gods, no monster has attacked, yet. But, sometimes I feel that the worst monsters aren't from myths, y'know? I guess that's the way it works. You win some, you lose some. That way of fighting always has to have some fighters.

And SOME LOSERS.

Anyway, the week has been great for my brothers and I. We ran through the woods and found old cement blocks and old toys from back in the 60s. It was really cool. Brett and I got lost and didn't get home until 8:30 at night. Cassie was mad, but eventually, she was intrigued in everything we found. We come home to our siblings playing catch with their gloves and mitts. Carlos is getting into sports, Mariana is in gymnastics. I'm in softball, gymnastics, dance, volleyball, track, judo, and basketball. What can I say, Seaweed Brain? I'm a true sucker for sports. Or an athlete. Heh.

Well, Seaweed Brain, how's it going for you? How's Sally? Tell her the cookies she sent were delicious. I can't wait to meet her in person someday. I'm going to enjoy it so much.

Your favorite dumbass,
Adiraleise Emmaline Lancaster

I'm not gonna lie, I feel like it's a bit weird between me and Percy after we kissed, but it was probably just... I don't know. It is what it is.

About two months later, I was packing my Camp stuff into a bag, and a few other things like pencils, so I could visit Percy at Meriwether College Prep. He, of course, doesn't know.