18. Grover, the Torpedo

1st Person
Adira

1st PersonAdira

Aunty "M." How could I have been so stupid? Think, I told myself. How did Medusa die in the myth?

"The Gray-Eyed One did this to me, Percy," Medusa said.

"Annabeth Chase's mother, the cursed Athena, turned me from a beautiful woman into this. And Adira's mother, Artemis, tattled on me!" (Another piece of mythology that I made up for the sake of the story)

"Don't listen to her! She's just pissed because she couldn't and can't have a hot girl summer," I shouted. "Run, Perseus!"

"Silence!" Medusa snarled. Then her voice modulated back to a comforting purr. "You see why I must destroy the girl, Percy. She is my enemy's niece. Much too talkative, sassy. I shall crush her statue to dust. But you, dear Percy, you need not suffer."

"No," he muttered. I tried to make my legs move.

"Do you really want to help the gods?" Medusa asked. "Do you understand what awaits you on this foolish quest, Percy? What will happen if you reach the Underworld? Do not be a pawn of the Olympians, my dear. You would be better off as a statue. Less pain. Less pain."

"Percy!" Grover jumped over Percy, going into a nosedive.  Grover yelled, "Duck!"

I turned, and there he was in the night sky, flying in from twelve o'clock with his winged shoes fluttering, Grover, holding a tree branch the size of a baseball bat. His eyes were shut tight, his head twitched from side to side. He was navigating by ears and nose alone.

"Duck!" he yelled again. "I'll get her!"

Percy jumped out of the way, since Grover would surely hit him. Thwack!

At first I figured it was the sound of Grover hitting a tree. Then Medusa roared with rage.

"You miserable satyr," she snarled. "I'll add you to my collection!"

"That was for Uncle Ferdinand!" Grover yelled back.

Grover swooped down for another pass.

Ker-whack!

"Arrgh!" Medusa yelled, her snake-hair hissing and spitting.

I moved slowly to Percy. "Jackson!"

He jumped so high his feet nearly hit down a garden gnome. "Jeez! Don't do that!"

I took off my hunting cap and became visible. 'You have to cut her head off."

"What? Are you crazy? Let's get out of here."

"Medusa is a menace. She's evil. I'd kill her myself, but..." I swallowed, as if I were about to make a difficult admission. "But you've got the better weapon. Besides, I'd never get close to her. She'd slice me to bits because of my mother. You—you've got a chance. I would shoot at her with my bow,  but I can barely see out here. It's pitch black. I'll try my best to fight against her... But I'm not sure."