19. Sirenas

1st Person
Adira + Percy

1st PersonAdira + Percy

I'm not gonna lie. Telling Percy about my dad did make me feel better. Did I like crying in front of my crush like a little baby? No. Was it worth it if he could understand me? Yes.

A few hours later, Annabeth came up, rubbing her eyes.

"Morning, sleepy head," I said, turning around and looking at her. She came up and hugged me. I hugged back. "Keep an eye on the wheel. I'm gonna go get Seaweed Brain. We're heading towards the Sirens..."

She saluted, and I began heading below the deck.

When I found Percy, asleep in the farthest hammock below-deck, was moving around rapidly. He muttered something, but he was having a nightmare. I ran over, and began pushing him around, yelling in his ear, "wake up!"

It didn't do anything. The only thing that happened was when he woke himself up.

"Ah!" He sat bolt upright in his hammock, almost hitting his head against mine.

I continued shaking him. "Percy, you were having a nightmare. You need to get up."

"Wh—what is it?" He rubbed his eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Land," I said. "We're approaching the island of the Sirens."

I could barely make out the island ahead of us—just a dark spot in the mist. But, it was there. We walked up top, and I looked at Annie.

"I want you to do me a favor," Annabeth said. "The Sirens... we'll be in range of their singing soon."

I remembered stories about the Sirens. They sang so sweetly their voices enchanted sailors and lured them to their death.

"No problem," Percy assured Annie. "We can just stop up our ears. There's a big tub of candle wax below deck—"

"We... we want to hear them," I chirped out.

Percy blinked. "Why?"

"They say the Sirens sing the truth about what you desire. They tell you things about yourself you didn't even realize. That's what's so enchanting. If you survive... you become wiser. I want to hear them. Maybe... if I figure out what I want, I could figure out what I'm like. How often will I get that chance?"

We told Percy our plan. Reluctantly, he helped us get ready.

As soon as the rocky coastline of the island came into view, he ordered one of the ropes to wrap around our waists, tying us to the separate foremasts.

"Don't untie me," I commanded, "no matter what happens or how much I plead. I'll want to go over the edge and drown myself."

"Are you trying to tempt me?"

"Ha-ha."

He promised he'd keep us secure. Then Percy took two large wads of candle wax, kneaded them into earplugs, and stuffed his ears.