●Chapter Ten: Empty Beds ●

The wind blew softly as Connor wiped away the splattered blood on his face with his sleeve. Connor let out a breath as he sloppily moved into his cabin. The cabin was dark and quiet. Connor looked over to the younger ones beds. The two kids looked sound asleep.

Connor let out a groan as he clutched the book in his hand tighter. Carefully he sat onto his bed as he felt a bit worried. He honestly hoped that Rain would be ok. Her arm looked terrible to be frank. Connor thought back to the event, he honestly hated the look on the girls face. She looked so terrified, "I don't think I can ever forget that." Connor mumbled under his breath as he look over to where Eugene sleeps. Instantly he froze, the bed was empty.

The blankets were made neatly and their pillows looked untouched. The last time he came back after the attack he was to tired and concerned about what happened that he didn't even notice that they weren't in bed.

Wait, they aren't in the cabin. So that means they were outside. Connor felt his eyes widen in fear as he suddenly stood up. He shouldn't carry the weird book outside, Connor looked around before deciding to pull the mattress up in the air a small bit. Carefully he placed the book under the mattress.

Quickly Connor moved towards the door, the sound of his footsteps echoing in the cabin. The door let out a loud squeak before he shut the door. Connor felt the cold air hit his face as he saw the sun barely peeking out of the view of the lake. A horrible stench hit his nose. Quickly he placed his hand over it as he stepped off the patio. Connor looked by some bushes but instantly gagged. A smudged substance was in the grass. Connor let out another gag as he looked away. "Where would Eugene be?" He mumbled out as he heard some noise.

Connor froze as he listened in, "Alright ducklings, get some rest. Let's not mention this to anyone. I'll talk to the counselors." Connor quickly turned to see Rains brother and a girl make their way into the pink cabin.

Eugene waved bye to the two. They looked restless and like they were on the brink of tears. Connor quickly went behind them wrapping his arms around them. Eugene's back slammed into his chest.

Connor lifted them in the air as they let out a yelp. Eugene grabbed the boys arms tightly as they squeezed their eyes closed. Connor put them down making Eugene turn around to the boy. "Connor! Why the fuck are you out here this early?!" Eugene stammered as they took a step back. Connor felt his eyes move to the small slit on their cheek.

The blood driped from the wound as Connor moved over to them putting a hand in their cheek. "How did you get hurt?" He asked making Eugene freeze. Eugene's eyes moved slightly to the side before looking back up.

"Uhm, I heard a strange voice outside. It kind of sounded hypnotic? But I somehow fell off the porch to the bush and scraped my face."

Eugene tried to explain as they moved their hand on top of the brunettes.

Connor felt himself go still as he saw a cabins light go on. Quickly Eugene grabbed his hand pulling him towards the shed. Eugene closed the door and turned off the light. Connor could feel a slight bit of deja vu but shrugged it off.

Eugene's eyes looked around the room but they couldn't see. Two hands touched their waist making them get pulled close to a torso. Eugene's hands landed on Connors shirt as they felt their chin get pulled up. From the way they were being held they could tell Connor was leaning down alot.

"Where were you?" He asked gently, his voice barely above a whisper. Eugene let out a quiet breath, "Does it matter?" They calmly spoke out as Connor bit his cheek. "Eugene, what did you see." It was rather a statement than a question. The same thought was screaming in Connors mind. "Please don't tell me you saw what I did." Is what he wanted to say, but he couldn't, not without knowing the situation.

Eugene gripped his shirt. "I didn't see anything, I just was helping two kids get bandaids. I was in the storage unit." Eugene lied through their teeth as the blood on their cheek slid down their skin. "Then why are you still bleeding?"

Eugene put their head onto his chest letting out a sigh. "I forgot about the wound." Truth be told, they did forget about it. Eugene had came out to the sight of seeing Rain leave her cabin.

At the time Eugene was tired and saw Rain leave the cabin through their window, they wanted to talk to her about somthing but was cut off guard by a strange noise. The wind became so sharp that it slit their face and Eugene saw somthing, un normal. That's when they saw the two kids, they honestly don't want to imagine what would happen if they didn't grab the two in time.

Connor made out a "mhm." He knew the other was lying but, he killed the monsters so they should be safe. After all, nothing that could of gained their scent would be able to hunt them if their dead. But one thought was deep in their mind. Why was it so easy? Sure Rain got injured, but that was from the hammer. Not the monsters.

There was no way these were the monsters that had killed so many people for so many years.

Eugene without realizing had been shaking. "We should go back to the cabin." They muttered, they knew that if they got caught they would be teased so bad. Connor let out a chuckle leaning his head down. "Why? Scared to get caught?" He whispered, Eugene could feel his warm breath on their face.

They let themselves let out a scoff that was interrupted by the boys lips. Eugene quickly closed their eyes as they moved their hands to hold his face. His lips were chapped but they ignored it. Connor was the one to break away as he let out a small laugh. Eugene rolled their eyes. "Shut up." They muttered as they pushed their lips into his.

The boy let out a giggle In the kiss. The sound of footsteps filled the air. "Eric, we need to get rid of the monst-". Connor quickly broke the kiss as he slammed his hands over Eugene's ears like a child.

Eugene flinched as they saw a small bit of light through the door. Eugene couldn't do anything because they could not see and also because it would cause noise. Connor pulled the other close as he made his back hit the wall. Eugene's face slammed into his shoulder as Connor let out a shakey breath.

"So the kids finally killed those monsters huh?" Eric joked as Jimmy rolled his eyes. "Don't act like that's the last time we will ever see monsters, you know dang well those were the weakest ones." Eugene paused as they tried to listen to the muffled voices. "Now, how do we get the little witch to make the spell?" A young women's voice rang out.

"Well, the only reason she's here is to put a protection spell on the cabins and then the Vulcan Officials will come and try once again to break the monsters portal"

Connor let out a shakey breath. "The what?"