●Chapter One: Old and New Faces●

No drops fell from the sky, no clouds covered the light blue sky at all. The sun was shining brighter and it was radiating heat. Rain looked away from the window knowing she would start to feel car sick if she kept looking out.

Her little brother was buckled right next to her. He kept skipping his little feet in the air making Rain hold back a smile. Suddenly a voice brought Rain out of her thoughts. "Rain?!" Her mother said looking back at her. Luckily, she was in the passenger's seat while her father was driving the car.

"Ya?" She said her voice coming out more sarcastically than she meant it to. Her mother's eyes met hers. Her mother had blue eyes, just like hers. Rains mothers' brown hair cascaded down her back and over her shoulder. "Are you excited for the camp? After all I heard that they wi-" "No I'm not. I don't even have a choice in the matter."

Rain snapped, her arms crossing across her chest. Her mother gave her a stare as she turned away. "Mom, how much longer until the baby in your belly will leave?" A small voice rang out, the voice belonged to her brother, Karl.

"Only three more months bud!" Rain could hear the smile on her mother's face but she refused to look up. Rain looked out the window to see the car was pulling up to the camp. Shit! Rain quickly grabbed her phone placing it in her bag, making sure that no one would see it if they opened her bag.

"Rain, Rain! Look! We are here!!" Karl yelled in excitement. Rain looked at the sign, "Welcome to Camp Winds Shield." Rain let out sigh seeing eye camp detectors talking to some parents and children. There was not that many that looked her age which just made things more frustrating. Cars parked in front of the sign on the side since there was no parking lot (which is stupid). "Ya, Karl we are. Are you ready to make some cool bracelets?" Rain said her voice raising up to make her sound more cheerful.

Rain pushed the car door open, her foot landing in the dirt. Rain carefully unbuckled her seatbelt before fixing her hair. Holding the door open for Karl she grabbed her bag and wrapped it around her shoulder. Karl scooted himself out of the car before looking around. Her father parked the car, just before locking it.

He was a tall ass man with blonde hair that was tidy, she got most of her looks from him. From her hair color to her jaw shape the two looked almost identical.

Her mother carefully got out of the car holding onto her enlarged stomach. She was going to be having twins from what they knew. The family walked over to the crossing point of the camp; the adults stopped to talk to a counselor. He was pretty short with tan skin with black hair, he had grey eyes. "Hey, nice to meet ya'll! And which one of you are our campers!?" He had a high voice showing excitement and enthusiasm. Her father looked at the man, like he was judging him. And to be frank he probably is.

"My children, Rain and Karl, they will be under the name Widow." He kept seriousness in his voice as the Councilor wrote something on his clip board. Looking down at Rain and Karl he kept a smile on his face. "Alright kids you're all good to go! Just wait out on the lawn with everyone else!"

Suddenly her mother hugged her brother as Rain felt her father put a hand on her shoulder. He leaned down so only she could hear him. "I need you to listen to me Rain, I used to go to camp here and I need you to watch your brother." Rain nodded her head wordlessly. "Rain, something is in these woods and I need you to stay safe. The bigger the group you're in the less likely you will be the next target." She has never seen her father like this, his voice sounded horse and sad. "A-Alright?" Rain whispered almost like it was a question. Her father pulled her into a deep hug as his body language signaled that he was holding back tears.

"I love you my little princess." Rain felt her chest ace at that as she grabbed Karl's hand and walked to the lawn. Her mother stared at her as she waved goodbye. Rain looked away not wanting to speak with her. Suddenly Karl hugged her. What is up with everyone hugging her today? He pulled away from the hug running over to some kids that looked to be around his age.

Rain stood awkwardly in the patch of grass, something suddenly hit her shoulder making her almost trip. Luckily, she caught herself, Rain turned around to see a tall boy that looked to be her age. He had tan skin with chocolate brown eyes and dark brown curly hair. He had and impossible amount of freckles on his cheeks. He had a worried look on his face as he realized what happened. "Oh crap! I'm so sorry about that. I wasn't looking where I was going!"

He yelped out, Rain gave him a pitying look as she brushed any dust or dirt that could have possibly got on her shirt. His eyebrows went forward as he looked at her, feeling slightly annoyed that she brushed her shoulder like he was dirty or below her.

"It's alright, after all mistakes like this happen quite often." He seemed like he was about to talk but Rain turned away walking over to the unlit bonfire pit. Rain looked around but paused seeing a familiar face. Heat rushed to her face in embarrassment for not realizing they were here. Quickly she walked over to them tapping on their shoulder. "Eugene?" She said looking down at them. They turned around to meet eye contact with her. They must have dyed their hair because it was a light purple hair.

"Rain!? Is that you!" Eugene yelled out loud, their eyes widening. "Oh my gosh you actually grew taller!" They said a smile on their face as they looked up at her. Rain held back a laugh, "And you didn't! Isn't that kind of ironic Doll?" The comment rolled off her tongue as Eugene's face dropped, without any hesitance they reached up flicking Rain on the forehead. "Ow!" Eugene felt a smile pull up to their face as they held back a laugh. "Eugene, you know I like watching pain not feeling it!" Rain jokes out loud, was it a joke? Eugene could not tell.

"Well, maybe don't say dumb shit." It was a statement rather than a question but it still had humor in their tone. Rain was about to counter their comment but got stopped by a loud speaker turning on after a few high pitch squeals. Almost everyone put their hand to their ears. Finally, the loud ringing stopped. "Hello campers, if you could make your way into the canteen, that would be great, thank you!"

The speaker went off with a high pitch ring as everyone started to walk over to the wood building.