Book 2: Chapter: 5: Lin Beifong

Audrey found herself sitting on a wooden bench with a geometric-patterned backrest. She was in the Republic City police station, a huge building that had a statue of its founder, grandma Toph, in the front.

A police officer soon walked out from behind the front desk and gestured for her to follow him.
After walking up a few flights of stairs the police officer turned to her with a grin on his face, hoping to see the woman exhausted, but his grin faltered when he saw her completely fine, and seemingly fit.
If Toph helped Audrey in any way it was improving her fitness. Audrey's stamina and strength had increased greatly since training with her grandmother.

The man turned a corner into a large room. There were a row of desks on either side of a long mat. Officers and detectives sat behind them, shuffling through paperwork or clicking their keyboards while working on computers. Audrey's eyes followed the mat to a large metal door. The officer that guided her lead her to the door and knocked. After hearing the click of a lock he opened the door, allowing Audrey to walk in and closed it behind her, leaving her alone with the Chief of Police.

Audrey looked at this woman in a new light. This was Grandma Toph's daughter, Aunt Suyin's sister and her mother. The woman in front of her was the woman who gave birth to her.

"What are you staring at?" The Chief suddenly snapped. Startling Audrey.

"Nothing Ma'am. " She quickly responded, her eyes locked on hers. The hue of their eyes were the exact same.

"Why do you want to be a cop?" The Chief questioned, picking up a file in front of her and paging through it uninterested.

"My grandmother was an amazing Cop..." Audrey responded, smiling softly, " and I would like to follow her footsteps."

"Did she work here?" The woman responded.

Audrey's heart ached.

"No." She lied.

"Then where was she a cop doofus?" The Chief barked back. She assumed the girl had been lying from the beginning.

"Ba Sing Se." Audrey responded. Grandma Toph had spoken about the police force there.

Lin Beifong was taken by surprise. Not many people knew of the secret police force in Ba Sing Se*. She narrowed her eyes.

"Who's your grandmother?"

"That's confidential." Audrey snapped, not trusting herself to keep up the lie.

"Fine." Lin responded, dropping the file onto her desk.

"What experience do you have?"

"In the police force-none. But I do have experience in combat."

Lin raised her eyebrow, waiting for more.

Audrey sighed," I assisted in the taking down of Aman."

Lin frowned, "Who are you?"

"The girl who saved your life." Audrey smirked, pulling down the sleeve of her shirt to reveal the burn scars.

Lin maintained her steely expression, but her eyes screamed shock.

"Tenzin told me he knew you because you could bend two elements." Lin smirked, "Show me."

"What?" Audrey questioned, confused at the strange request.

"Show me the double bending." Lin responded, her harsh demeanor shifted slightly to one of mild excitement. The Chief had only heard rumors of this supernatural phenomenon and now she had the opportunity to witness it first hand.

Audrey looked at her, surprised at her sudden change in expression. This woman, her mother, was getting excited about her abilities.
She could not believe it.

"What are you waiting for?" Lin snapped, growing impatient. She took her glass of water and splashed it on Audrey.

Audrey looked unimpressed as the hair that would usually float around her head stuck to her face.

Lin was confused and suddenly stretched her arm forward shooting the metal towards Audrey. The girl responded by turning slightly, putting her right foot behind her left and raised her left hand to stop the metal in mid-air.

"With all due respect Chief, I just want to join the force." Audrey sighed.

Lin frowned retracting the cables quickly. "Tomorrow morning. six o' clock you will meet me here."

"Thank you Chief." Audrey nodded. There was a pot plant on the floor next to the door. Without a second thought Audrey removed the water from her clothes and wet hair and dropped it into the pot. She then continued out the door and closed it behind her.

Lin sat at her desk, amazed but still visibly scowling. Moments later when she was sure the girl would have left the floor she turned to her telephone which sat on her desk.

She punched in a series of digits and listened to the phone ring.

"Tenzin speaking. " Tenzin responded.

"Tenzin, I just met the double bender you spoke to me about. She's joining the police force."
Lin got straight to the point.

"WHAT!" Tenzin screamed in utter horror.

"What's the issue?" Lin replied flatly.

"Nothing!" Tenzin quickly blurted. Why was Audrey joining the police force? Did she want a target put on her back? Tenzin worried greatly for such a young girl with so much power.
"How old is she?" He asked.

"It says nineteen." Lin shrugged looking through her file.

"Isn't she a bit too young for this Lin?" Tenzin reasoned.

" I started at sixteen." Lin reminded him.

"Lin, she is a nineteen year old girl- barely an adult- and has the ability to bend two elements. She can become a target with such power." Tenzin pleaded.

Lin hummed in response understanding the comcern of the statement.

"Why are you worried? That's the job for her parents. If they're fine with her joining the police force then we shouldn't interfere." If Tenzin was in any lighter mood he would have laughed at the sheer irony of Lin's statement, of course, they were the parents and thus they should be worrying.

"Have her join as just an earthbender." He finally responded after moments of silence. "We are protectors of this city, we have a duty to the people too."

Lin sighed, she understood his concerns and he played the 'duty to the people' card. She had no choice but to agree.

"Fine." She muttered.

"Thank you Lin!" Tenzin responded relieved but still worried for his daughter's safety.

Lin slammed the phone down, cutting the call.
Tomorrow morning was going to be an interesting one.

She knew it.

---------------------------------------
* this information on Ba Sing Se was made up to work with the plot. I am unaware if there is a police force in Ba Sing Se let alone if it is a secret.