Book 2: Chapter 2: Earthbending

"What?" Audrey whispered. A sudden dread filling her. Her mother was right in front of her and she had no idea.

"Did no one refer to her as Chief Beifong?" Suyin asked.

"No. I was never around her that often, I helped her fight off equalists and then met her on the dock after Aman's defeat, but never was she referred to as 'Beifong'."

Audrey's eyes frowned, puzzled, "She's the scarred lady...right?"

Suyin nodded, "Her name's Lin."

"Lin" Audrey repeated, "A man in the Southern Water Tribe called me that, he was convinced I was someone called 'Lin'."

"You do share some features...and traits." Suyin responded looking closely at her niece, Audrey had the same complextion as her sister and they shared their hair colour although Suyin was sure that, like herself, Lin was probably going grey now. Her niece also had Lin's green eyes and her signature scowl.

"How did she get the scar?" Audrey asked, thinking about her mother's most recognizable trait.

Suyin looked down, slightly guilty, "let's call it a sibling argument..."

"Oh." Audrey responded, not intending to change her Aunt's joyful mood. She sat watching her Aunt as the awkward silence seemed to stretch on for ages.

"How was dinner?" Her Aunt asked, breaking the silence, looking up with a smile.

Audrey could tell that her Aunt seemed to be greatly affected with her sister's extreme absence.

"Don't tell Gran-gran, but that was the best food I've ever tasted."

Suyin laughed, a genuine whole-hearted one. The full joy of having her niece stay with her finally effecting her.

"I'm glad." She beamed, "I hope you're ready for your training, it begins tomorrow. " She winked.

~•~

The rest of the evening consisted of Audrey catching up with her Aunt, a motherly bond that she knew could never be broken. Later on, Opal joined and the three woman spent countless hours together, enjoying each other's company. Never once bringing up Lin Beifong.

The days Audrey spent in Zaofu spanned over a few months until all she could do was practice her bending. She had learnt how to earthbend properly, manipulating the rocks around her with ease.

When her Aunt became extremely busy with running her city, Audrey was handed over to a woman named Kuvira for her metalbending training.

"You need to understand that youre working with metal!" Kuvira shouted sending a few sheets of metal toward her.

Audrey pulled a large pillar of rock infront of her hearing the satisfying scratch of the metal becoming imbedded in the pillar.

She slid to the right, keeping close to her rock formation and attemped to attack Kuvira, but her trainer was too quick, before she knew it, she was on the ground, metal plates had magically found its way to her wrists and ankles.

Kuvira grinned watching the black-haired girl slowly get off the ground.

"Metal has the fluidity of water and the hardness of rock." She stated, giving Audrey her hand.

"Mhm." Audrey mumbled, rubbing her head.

"But you're also small." Kuvira remarked.

"What?" Audrey turned towards her quickly.

"I mean you're like me." Kuvira laughed, "we're not muscular, nor are we significantly tall. So we should use speed and agility to our advantage." She shrugged