Book 1:Chapter 2: Equalists

Dear Lin,

I hope this letter finds you well. Today we learnt that your daughter can waterbend. I've never seen a smile so big on Katara's face. She is three now, and is quiet- unlike you.

Please write back.

Your daughter needs you

Love, Suyin.

~•~

The day of Audrey's departure arrived quickly. And brought her both great sadness and great joy. Today she'd leave home for the first time, to travel afar to finally master the art of earthbending. She imagined all that she'll learn: metalbending, lavabending, and even the advanced skill of seismic sense. She had heard that no one had ever bent platinum before, but she was determined to be the first to do so. To become the best of the art that she could be.

During the last few weeks she had spent her time helping around the village, making sure to acknowledge every small detail so that she could remember it all. She didn't know how long she'd be away for, and so packing had taken much more time than it should've. She had probably repacked her bag multiple times adding and removing objects every time in fear of forgetting something, or over-packing.

Before she knew it, she was on the ship to Republic City. Katara, and a few other healers waved her off. As well as a few penguins that Audrey was convinced came to say goodbye too. "Take care," her grandmother said, just before she boarded the ship, she let go of Audrey's arms. " if you work hard, you can become whatever you want." Audrey smiled at her grandmother, "Goodbye Gran-gran, thank you for everything." She embraced her, and boarded the ship.

~•~

"Miss Audrey, we've arrived at Republic City." A man muttered, brushing past her while she was reading her book. She looked up, slightly irritated, but then smiled, amused. She couldnt imagine how many times he'd probably have to do this. Shipping cargo between the same two points multiple times a week. It was probably exhausting.

"Got it." She replied, more to herself than anything. She closed the book with a snap and walked up from under the deck and down the metal steps letting the twang of the metal ring in her ears. She got to the last step and was immediately met with masked people. They wore green, with dark brown scarves below some sort of mechanical helmet. Their eyes were replaced with bright yellow discs, resembling the lights of the wolf sleigh she had at home. Audrey looked around, she counted three of them, "can I help you?" She smiled innocently, cocking her head slightly to the left, her left hand slowly unscrewed the soft bottle of water that was slung behind her back.

"Are you a bender?" The person in front asked, he was a man.
Audrey narrowed her eyes. "Yes." She said slowly and unsurely. Noticing the harshness in his voice.
Suddenly a string was thrown towards her, with balls attached on each end, she shot a jet of water towards it, cutting it in half.
She took off in a sprint towards the shore.
"Get her!" The masked man screamed, following after her. When she got to the end of the dock she turned around, pulling up curtains of water from either side of her. The masked people still ran towards her, but were quickly washed off the dock into the surrounding water. Audrey jumped landing one foot at a time and pushed the water next to her further into the bay.

"So they're not benders." She remarked to herself, before turning around. She followed the shore line until she saw air temple island, she spotted a man by the dock, with a small boat. Audrey kept her guard up, although this man wasn't masked, he still could attack her.

"Hello Sir!" She watched him jump and turn quickly to her. "Can you direct me to the train station?"

"No can do miss." He replied sadly. "The equalists are controlling all of the entry and exit points into Republic City. You're not going anywhere."

"The Equalists?" Audrey responded, confused.

"I see you're new here." The man remarked." The equalists are a group of people who are led by this guy who can take bending away. They want to 'equalise' the city- get rid of bending." He whispered to her, covering the side of his mouth to prevent anyone from reading his lips.

Audrey was shocked,' so this is why Master Tenzin couldn't stay in the south.' She thought. She knew he had a responsibility here but she would have never expected the situation to be so extreme. She turned towards the island. "Is that Air Temple Island?" She pointed towards the structure on the water.

"Sure is." The man responded.

"Can you take me there?" She asked turning back to him.

"No can do. You see the equalists- oh dear."

Audrey watched his gaze travel behind her where she saw large air ships coming towards them.
"What's that?" She questioned looking at the oncoming aircrafts with a large red dot on the front.

"That would be the equalists' airships." he said with fear in his voice.

"Heading straight for the island." She realised turning towards the island.

"You've got to get me there." She insisted.

"Uh well, like I said: a-no can- WOAH!"

Audrey became fed up with waiting and instead sprinted towards the ocean. She jumped just before reaching the water, and created patches of ice which formed below each foot as she sprinted towards the island. Clearly she knew something this man didn't, if they removed her father and his children's bending there would be no more airbenders. After getting about a third of the way, she began to get tired. She settled on making a small sheet of ice and propelled herself instead.

When she got to the base of the large island, she swam down, deep into the water and slingshotted herself to the top.

Whilst in the air she noticed more masked people attacking a woman. She lay on the ground, exhausted watching as more equalists approached her. Audrey bent a ribbon of water on each of her arms landing and swiping two men away simultaneously. An equalist with two rods turned around to see the commotion. He was closest to the woman. Audrey fired a few shots at him, but he dodged all her attacks, before she knew it, her left arm went limp with a searing pain shooting up to her shoulder "Chi-blocking" She muttered, using her other arm to push people away with water. She saw the woman get up and attack the equalists with ropes of metal.

Audrey closed her eyes focusing on her energy flow, pushing it through her limp arm and feeling it pulsate within her. Within seconds her arm was back to normal. She began to attack again, assisting the now-recovered woman. When all were taken out, White Lotus members came towards them, dragging other equalists with them.

Audrey turned to the woman but saw her already glaring at her, "who are you? And what do you want?" Audrey, who matched her frustration averted the question by asking her another," where's master Tenzin?" She asked trying to remain calm.

The woman, who was clearly used to getting her questions answered frowned,"And why would I tell you that?"
"Maybe because I just saved your life!" Audrey pointed at her.

"I wouldn't call it 'saving my life'," The woman muttered. Turning towards the captured equalists.

Audrey made a run for the building, but the woman shot out a wire of metal, curling it around Audrey's wrist. "Where do you think you're going?" She shouted angrily. Audrey stood still, looking down. She quickly turned her wrist forming a blade of water and cut through the wire. Causing it to fly up towards the woman. She then ran up the steps into the building.

"Why aren't you helping me?" She heard the woman yell to the White Lotus before she closed the door behind her.

She smiled, closing the door behind her. Even the White Lotus knew she was on their side.

------------------------

Hello!
Have you heard of the new ATLA live-action movie coming up?
I'm so excited!
🔥🔥🔥