Goodbye, Ben...

The sun had set, and the stars began to come out. Though the sky was still filled with clouds, so I don't think we'll have any calm winds soon. We had reached the dock and had everything we needed to leave. The last we had to do, was say goodbye to Ben.

"Well, this is it," Ben said, slowly letting go of Sammy's hand that she had been holding onto for a while.

"I know I've asked you this a hundred times on the walk back," Sammy wiped a tear from her cheek, "But are you sure you wanna stay behind, Ben?" She asked.

"Yeah, man." Kenji began, "After everything we just went through, it's absolutely bonkers that you don't wanna leave."

"Well, okay, I know, I know it seems that way, but the Scorpioses are gone now. I'll be okay." He gently smiled, "You guys are my family, but this island is home. I know how to survive here."

"But every time I think of you out here all alone..." Sammy trailed off before grabbing Ben's hands again.

"Yeah, and I'll miss you," Yazmina said as everyone began to crowd around Ben to grab his hand.

"We'll all miss you," Brooklynn added as she placed her hand with everyone else. Ben looked down at our hands on his, though he couldn't look at us.

He had this face of guilt even though this was his choice, and no one was shaming him for it. He tried to say something, but a thunderclap interrupted him as he looked above at the clouds getting darker.

"Another storm is on the way. Best sail out before it rolls in." He said letting go of everyone's hands as he stepped away. Before leaving, everyone pulled Ben into a final hug, though Daruis was the first to pull away.

"Come on, guys. Ben's made up his mind. We gotta respect it." He said, nodding as everyone pulled away from the hug. It was bittersweet as everyone walked away, wiping away small tears of sorrow. But as everyone left walking back to the boat, I stood behind.

Ben didn't look surprised to see me like he knew I would do this. I slowly walked up to Ben, the two of us face to face as we met eyes.

"Guess this is the final goodbye?" Ben questioned with a slight chuckle.

"Guess it is," I said, not daring to move my eyes. I didn't know how long how could do this, stare at each other hoping for another minute.

"(Y/N)," He said, subtly stepping toward me as reached to place a hand on my shoulder. I know what he wants to do, but it's not time. So instead, I pulled him into a hug.

"Goodbye, Ben..." I said into his ear before immediately sprinting back to the boat. I didn't even look back, I just got onto the boat. Once I was on, Kenji started the engine and began to drive away from the dock.

"Stay safe, Ben!" Daruis shouted.

"We love you!" Sammy shouted as everyone waved off the dock. I stood next to Matt, waving at Ben while we drifted away on the boat. Rain began to pour as Ben stood on the dock. And After a little while, Ben left back into the jungle.

"Are we really doing this? Are we really leaving him here?" Sammy asked, hoping we'd say no. But it was already a done deal, and we accepted it. Though even though we said we'd do this, I peered over the boat's edge, trying to see him again.

"Come on," I gently muttered, watching the dock in hopes I wasn't wrong. It was hard to see through the darkness and all the rain, but in the tiny distance, I saw Ben running from the dock as he shouted something, though I can't hear it.

He ran up to the edge of the dock, and I could finally make out one word. "Wait!" He shouted, waving his arm in the arm.

"Kenji, stop the boat!" I instantly shouted as everyone else faces lit up. I turned back to the dock, only to see Ben dive into the water and start swimming toward us.

I don't even care, I ran down the steps of the boat, holding my hand out as I see him swim toward me. He reached the edge of the boat, grabbing my hand as his grip tightened.

For a brief moment, Ben and I just stare at each other. It's almost surreal, but eventually, I pull him up. He pants for air, as Brooklynn also helps me get him up. It's raining, so we walk back onto the boat, where everyone is waiting for us. Ben took a moment to catch his breath as we all surround him.

"I guess I kind of realized that since I found myself on the island, I can take that new-found self somewhere else now." He said though I looked at Matt with a small grin, as everyone does the same.

"You don't look surprised to see me." He said as he looked around at everyone's faces. Brooklynn chuckled before pulling Ben into a hug.

"We knew you'd change your mind." She said.

"Yeah, man. Didn't think you'd actually go diving in the ocean, though." Kenji rubbed his hair as Brooklynn pulled away.

 "I..."

"Needed to come to it on your own without someone telling you how to feel," Daruis said as he walked next to Ben's side. "I know. Took you long enough!" He laughed before putting his arm around Ben.

"Seriously? No one could have clued me in?" Sammy looked around shocked. "Oh, well!" She ran to Daruis and Ben and gave them both a hug.

"Okay." Ben chuckled as Sammy realized the two.

"Okay, once and for all, let's get out of this dang place," Kenji shouted as he climbed the ladder to the cockpit. Everyone let out whoops and laughter before sitting at the table.

Ben and I were the only ones who stayed back, standing there as everyone seemed not to notice us. I stared at Ben, my heart beating out of my chest.

"You're a real dummy you know that," I said, feeling my eyes start to tear up. "I almost started to believe you wouldn't come." I turned my face away, trying to wipe away a few tears falling down my cheek.

Ben stood in front of me, grabbing my hand as he gently pulled it away. He watched the tears on my face before wiping them away with his thumb.

"I have been a real dummy lately," He chuckled, "I almost told you I didn't l-" He abruptly stopped his words, looking up at me as though he was embarrassed. He slowly lowered his hand from my cheek, his face turning a red hue.

I was surprised at his words, wondering what L word he was going to say. I wanted to know, but I also wanted to do something else. I placed my hands on his shoulder, subtly pulling him closer.

"You didn't..." I urged softly, my eyes shifting down to his lips.

"I didn't..." He inched his face dangerously close to mine, his hand sliding toward my waist. I closed my eyes when a blinding light suddenly shines on the boat.

Ben and I instantly pull away, before we both looked at the source of the light. Everyone looked up shocked to see a helicopter hovering above us. There looked to be one person inside with heavy armor and weapons and another in the front seat.

It was the only helicopter, as two other helicopters flew past us toward the Island.

"Attention," came a woman's voice over a megaphone, "You on the boat, return to the dock and cut the engine immediately." She said with a direct voice.

"Who are these guys?" Daruis asked as he shield his face from the light.