Secret of the Tunnels

This is probably the longest I've gone without writing. Short answer, I lost a passion. But I knew I had to finish the story so I started writing again.

I'm actually re-inspired and I think I will be able to start posting regular again.

Well for now-

BACK TO THE STORY

I wasn't about to ride with Ben after what just happened. My stomach was in knots and my knees were weak. I got onto Prince, holding onto his fur so I wouldn't fall off.

"I'll look for Brooklynn and Kenji from up top, you look below," I say, my voice kind of shaky. I don't give Ben a chance to say anything as Prince and I fly into the air.

We weren't very high because I was still weighing him down, but it gave me a chance to cool off and get my head straight. Right now was about finding Brooklynn and Kenji. My feelings could wait.

But even after looking for a while, neither of us saw Kenji and Brooklynn. It was starting to turn night and I wouldn't be able to see that well in dark. Besides, I could already feel Prince getting tired of holding me up.

Giving Prince a break, I flew down into the jungle, landing behind Bumpy. As soon as she heard us, Bumpy stopped walking and turned around. I jumped off Prince, looking up at the silhouette of Ben who was onto of Bump.

I couldn't make out what his face looked like because it was dark, but I was honestly glad I couldn't see him. I don't think I could face him after what happened.

Bumpy stepped into the moonlight, letting me see Ben. He stared down at me with a soft expression, trying not to meet eyes.

"Hey," I heard him.

It was silent as we both walked next to each other with Bumpy and Prince walking beside us. I stared down at my feet, watching as they kicked dirt every time I stepped forward. We couldn't stay silent forever, so I knew I had to say something. I looked over at Ben, who was already staring at me.

I felt the urge to look away, but I kept my gaze. Realizing I wasn't going to look away, Ben cleared his throat, preparing to say something.

"(Y/N), I don't want things to be awkward between us." He said, stopping in front of me.

"Don't you think that's a little difficult? Things are always awkward between us."

"Not all the time, sometimes you can be a real pain in the butt." He said. I scoff at his words, "And other times you could be my only supporter."

He stops for a second, staring at me like he was waiting for me to say something. In reality, I didn't really know what to say, or how to react.

When I didn't say anything, he snapped his gaze and rubbed his neck. "What I mean is, I don't want things to be... weird- you know? I think you're a really good friend."

"Friend?" I repeat softly. He doesn't respond but looked away.

This would go on forever, this silence between us. I didn't want to leave it at that, but right now wasn't the time.

"You know, compared to you, I survived better on my own," I said in a competitive tone.

"Really?" He said, looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

"For sure, while you were out crying about slivers, I was killing compies and avoiding T-rexes." I put my hand on my chest as I held it out.

"So what, are you now suddenly the fearless Tarzan of dinosaurs?" He joked, letting out a small laugh. I want to laugh with him, I even try. But as I start to think about his words, I couldn't.