The Cattle Drive

"We thought it'd be fun. We thought we'd be safe, but...."

"We didn't realize the horror waiting for us on the island." Darius's face is illuminated by the campfire as he continues to narrate his story. We were outside on the balcony, sitting around a fireplace.

"Claws...Teeth... Screaming..." Sammy looked terrified, curling her legs into her chest as Darius continued.

"So much screaming."

"How much screaming?" Ben gripped Kenji's arm terrified.

Kenji shushes him, "He's getting to the good part."

"The T. Rex stalked closer....her jaws opened wide-" Before Darius could get to the climax of his story, a camera shutter and bright flash interrupted him. Everyone looks toward Brooklynn as she finishes.

Darius took off his hood confused.

"For the vlog," She pointed toward her phone. "Keep telling your little story," She fanned her hand.

Darius sighed, putting his hood up.

"Oh, here we go," Kenji leaned forward intrigued.

"The T-rex sta--"

"Dang!" She interrupted him again, making Kenji groan impatient.

"Out of space." She stared into her phone, "Wait, I'm sorry, hold on."

Darius pulled off his hood annoyed, the scary story-telling atmosphere ruined.

"I just don't wanna delete my selfie on Everest, you know?" She held her phone to my face so I could see. It's a selfie posted of her and my Matt with 126k likes. It's a good photo, I can see why she didn't want to delete it.

"Maybe I should start over." Darius cleared his throat.

"No! In fact, you can just stop." Ben said still scared as he gripped Kenji's arm righter.

"Dude, chill. He's not even telling the story right now." Kenji said, "And how is your grip this strong?" Kenji tried pulling his arm away.

"You kidding, that story wasn't even scary." Matt finished roasting a marshmallow, sticking it into a s'more.

"Oh please, I saw practically peeing your pants a few seconds ago," Brooklynn smirked.

"So, the T-Rex stalked--"

"Shouldn't we call Yasmina over?" Sammy interrupted him, "I bet she'd love this story."

Darius gave up, plopping onto the bench defeated.

"Maybe she wants to be by herself," I answer, looking over at Yasmina at the edge of the balcony.

"I don't understand." Sammy looked fuddled.

"You know how sometimes people just wanna be left alone?" Kenji said as he hinted at Ben to get off of him.

Sammy paused for a second before breaking into laughter.

"Kenji, you're hilarious. I think she's just shy and doesn't know how to make camp friends." Thunder suddenly crashed as the rain started to pour on us.

Sammy yelps at the unexpected noise. "Maybe we should go inside," She shouted.

"Way ahead of you!" We look over at Ben already halfway up the stairs. Everyone scrambled to get inside, Matt sadly dropping his s'more as I grabbed his hand and made him run inside. Darius scoffed, unfazed by the rain.

"Thanks, Brooklynn..." He slipped on his hoodie before walking inside.

Chatter was among the group as we all entered inside. Yasmina stood behind on the couch. Brooklynn warned Kenji to not touch her phone. Matt listened to Ben say he wasn't at all scared of Darius's story. Only Darius and I stood back from the group.