chapter 24

cynthia bit on her finger nails repeatedly, feeling her leg shake as she waited to hear a knock on her front door. she had group called darrian, david, and ethan about twenty minutes ago, giving them the shirt explanation that she had talked to her parents, and that they could come over.

the three boys had seemed hesitant about it, but nonetheless, let cynthia know they would all be on their way shortly.

they would arrive before serenity finished cooking dinner, which would hopefully give them a little more time to sit comfortably in her home instead of immediately sitting down at a table and eating with serenity who would probably glare at each of them the entire time.

enya watched the girl from the chair that was in front of the couch she was sitting on, shaking her head as she felt cynthia shouldn't have to be as nervous as she was.

it made enya feel terrible that cynthia felt she had to be nervous to speak to her parents or tell them how she felt. she knew it shouldn't have to be that way, and that alone was enough of a reason why enya would forever be on cynthia's side and not serenity's.

even though serenity was enyas daughter and she loved her dearly, she didn't agree with the way she had been to cynthia in the past years. she knew cynthia would turn on her eventually.

cynthia raised her head when she heard three solid knocks at the door, making her sigh before she stood and walked towards it. enya watched as one of cynthia's hands shook, as the other reached and slowly opened the door.

cynthia was met with ethan who stood in front, his eyebrows already raised as he immediately looked inside the home when cynthia opened the door.

david smacked his lips, pushing past him and walking into the home when cynthia moved over.

darrian followed behind david, with ethan entering last. "this sketchy, cynthia. i ain't gon lie."

cynthia gave him a bored look, closing the door behind them. "you think i'm gonna set you up, or what?"

ethan squinted his eyes, "are you?"

cynthia scoffed, pushing him as she walked up to darrian and david who stood awkwardly, talking to cassandra who had just entered the room.

darrian immediately wrapped his arm around cynthia, making her smile up at him. she looked off towards enya, who watched the two teens with a soft smile.

it was almost like enya just.. knew.

"you wanna meet my grandma?" cynthia asked him lowly, making darrian slowly turn to look at enya, before nodding.

the two walked to enya, with cassandra, ethan, and david following behind them.

darrian reached his hand out once he was in front of enya, shaking her hand. this caught cynthia off guard, as her eyebrows furrowed before she let out a low chuckle.

"i'm darrian." ddot greeted, making enya chuckle. "i know. i'm enya."

ddot looked at her in confusion, but slowly stepped away as david walked up to her next.

"she know me already?" darrian whispered to cynthia, making her laugh. "she was always here when we used to hangout all the time." cynthia explained, making darrian nod his head.

after david and ethan greeted the woman, the teenagers all took a seat next to her. darrians arm rested over cynthia's shoulders, as she went into conversation with notti about how the dinner was going to go.